This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development and Assessment of Traction Fluids for Use in Toroidal (IVT) Transmissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The attributes of a traction fluid are fundamental to the successful operation of a traction drive transmission. The fluid must lubricate and protect the components against wear and corrosion, whilst simultaneously providing high traction to transmit power efficiently.
A selection of commercial and candidate fluids have been assessed with both a bench-test and a novel traction rig. The principal objective has been to achieve a balance between the conflicting requirements of low temperature viscometrics and high temperature traction.
Fluid performance is found to vary according to the rig employed underlining the need to test under prevailing conditions. Data from the traction rig is validated against a variator module.
CitationNewall, J., Nicolson, D., Lee, A., and Evans, S., "Development and Assessment of Traction Fluids for Use in Toroidal (IVT) Transmissions," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0588, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0588.
- Fellows, T.G. Greenwood, C.J. “The design and development of an experimental traction drive CVT for a 2.0 litre FWD passenger car SAE Paper 910408 1991
- Evans, S.P. “Development and assessment of traction fluids” Tribology 2000+ Esslingen January 2000
- Tipton, C.D. Qreshi, F. Huston, M.E. “Automotive traction fluids: A shift in direction for transmission fluid technology” SAE Technical Paper Series 2000-01-2906 October 2000
- Murakami, Y. Arawaka, Y. Makoto, M Hata, H Miyaji, T Tamoto, Y. “Development and testing of CVT fluid for Nissan toroidal CVT” SAE Technical Paper Series 1999-01-3613 October 1999
- Loewenthal, S.H. Rohn, D.A. “Elastic model of the traction behavior of two traction lubricants.” Trans. ASLE 27 2 April 1983
- Fellows, T G Dowson, D. Perry, F.G. Plint, M.A. “Perbury Continuously Variable Ration Transmission” Advances in Automobile Engineering Pergamon Press 1964
- Heilich, F.W. Shube, E.E. “Traction Drives Selection and Application” Marcel Dekker Inc 1983
- Lee, A. P. Newall, J P. Ono, Y. “Optimising the Durability of a Dual-Cavity Full-Toroidal IVT Variator” SAE Paper 02AC-66 March 2002
- Bair, S Winer, W. O. “Regimes of traction in Concentrated Contact Lubrication” Trans. ASME J.Tribology July 1982
- Ehret, P. Dowson, D Taylor, C.M. “Thermal effects in elliptical contacts with spin conditions” Proceedings of the Leeds-Lyon Symposium for Tribology 1998
- Ehret, P. “Empirical and theoretical studies of wear and traction occurring in a Torotrak (IVT) Traction Drive EFM Research Group University of Leeds April 2001
- Newall, J. P. Lee, A P. Patterson, M. “Prototype traction fluid specification (A guide for fluid development) Torotrak Report No. R/145/1518 July 2001
- Tevaarwerk, J.L. “Traction in lubricated contacts.” Contact mechanics and wear of rail/wheel systems University of Waterloo Press 1982
- Evans, H.P. Snidle, R.W. “Inverse solution of Reynolds equation of lubrication under point contact elastohydrodynamic conditions.” ASME J. Lubrication Technology 103 1981
- Jacod, B. Venner, C.H. Lugt, P.M. “A generalised traction curve for EHL contacts.” ASME J.Tribology June 2000
- Evans, C.R. Johnson, K.L. “Regimes of traction in elastohydrodynamic lubrication.” Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs 200 January 1986
- James, I.B. “Dynamic characteristics of a split power IVT” University of Bath 1997
- James, I. B. Vaughan, N. D. “Dynamic modelling and validation of the regime change characteristics of a split power, infinitely variable transmission” IMechE, Advanced Vehicle Transmission and Powertrain Management 1997
- Roelands, C. “Correlational aspects of the temperature-pressure relationship of lubrication oils. Technische Hogeschool Delft, The Netherlands 1966