This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Single Vehicle Wet Road Loss of Control; Effects of Tire Tread Depth and Placement
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
When an automobile is driven on wet roads, its tires must remove water from between the tread and road surfaces. It is well known that the ability of a tire to remove water depends heavily on tread depth, water depth and speed, as well as other factors, such as tire load, air pressure and tread design. It is less well known that tire tread depth combined with placement can have an adverse effect on vehicle handling on wet roads.
This paper investigates passenger car handling on wet roads. Flat bed tire testing, three-dimensional computer simulation and skid pad experimental testing are used to determine how handling is affected by tire tread depth and front/rear position of low-tread-depth tires on the vehicle.
Some skid pad test results are given, along with corresponding simulations. A literature review also is presented.
Significant changes in tire-road longitudinal and lateral friction are shown to occur as speed, tread depth and water depth vary, even before hydroplaning occurs.
Three-dimensional computer simulation confirms and illustrates the effect of worn-tire placement on vehicle handling characteristics during wet road maneuvers.
|Technical Paper||Hydroplaning and Accident Reconstruction|
|Technical Paper||Hydroplaning Analysis by FEM and FVM: Effect of Tire Rolling and Tire Pattern on Hydroplaning|
|Technical Paper||Realistic Rear Axle Hydroplaning during Forward Motion|
CitationBlythe, W. and Day, T., "Single Vehicle Wet Road Loss of Control; Effects of Tire Tread Depth and Placement," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0553, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0553.
- Maycock, G. “Studies on the Skidding Resistance of Passenger-car Tyres on Wet Surfaces,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers 180 4 1965-66
- Kelley, J. D. Jr. “Factors Affecting Passenger Tire Traction on the Wet Road,” SAE Paper No. 680138 1968
- Staughton, G. C. “The Effect of Tread Pattern Depth on Skidding Resistance,” Road Research Laboratory, Report LR 323 Ministry of Transport U. K. 1970
- Staughton, G. C. Williams, T. “Tyre Performance in Wet Surface Conditions,” Transport and Road Research Laboratory, Laboratory Report 355 Ministry of Transport U. K. 1970
- Sabey, B. E. Williams, T. Lupton, G. N. “Factors Affecting the Friction of Tires on Wet Roads,” SAE Paper No. 700376 1970
- Harvey, J. L. Brenner, F. C. “Tire Use Survey: The Physical Condition, Use, and Performance of Passenger Car Tires in the United States of America,” National Bureau of Standards Washington, D. C. May 1970
- Bergman, W. Clemett, H. R. Sheth, N. J. “Tire Traction Measurement on the Road and in the Laboratory,” SAE Paper No. 710630 1971
- Clark, S. K. Mechanics of Pneumatic Tires National Bureau of Standards U.S. November 1971
- “Tech-Let,” for Division 93-95 Sears Roebuck and Company Chicago, Illinois February 22 1974
- Veith, A. G. Pottinger, M. G. “Tire Wet Traction: Operational Severity and its Influence on Performance,” The Physics of Tire Traction Hays D. F. Browne A. L. Plenum Press New York-London 1974 5 20
- Lippman, S. A. Oblizajek, K. L. “The Influence of Tire Wear on Steering Properties and the Corresponding Stresses at the Tread-Road Interference,” SAE Paper No. 741102 October 1974
- Dijks, I. A. “A Multifactor Examination of Wet Skid Resistance of Car Tires,” SAE Paper No. 741106 October 1974
- Browne, A. L. “Mathematical Analysis for Pneumatic Tire Hydroplaning,” “Surface Texture versus Skidding: Measurements, Frictional Aspects, and Safety Features of Tire-Pavement Interactions,” American Society for Testing and Materials 1975 75 94
- Agrawal, S. K. Henry, J. J. “A Technique for Evaluating the Hydroplaning Potential of Pavements,” Transportation Research Board, 56th Annual Meeting Washington, D. C. January 1977
- Sakai, H. Kanaya, O. Okayama, T. “The Effect of Hydroplaning on the Dynamic Characteristics of Car, Truck and Bus Tires,” SAE Paper No. 780195 February 1978
- Gallaway, B. M. Ivey, D. L. Hayes, G. Ledbetter, W. B. Olson, R. M. Woods, D. L. Schiller, R. F., Jr. “Pavement and Geometric Design Criteria for Minimizing Hydroplaning,” Federal Highway Administration Washington, D. C. December 1979
- Davis, J. B. Wild, J. R. John, N. W. St. “Winter Tire Testing,” SAE Paper No. 800838 June 1980
- Kneip, J. V. Derooy, A. F. Kind, G. J. “European Winter Tire Testing,” SAE Paper No. 800837 June 1980
- Janowski, W. R. “Tire Traction Testing in the Winter Environment,” SAE Paper No. 800839 June 1980
- “New Consumer Tire Guide,” Tire Industry Safety Council Washington, D.C. 1982
- Williams, A. R. Evans, M. S. “Influence of Tread Wear Irregularity on Wet Friction Performance of Tires,” “Frictional Interaction of Tire and Pavement” Meyer W. E. Walter J. D. American Society for Testing and Materials 41 64 1983
- Hayes, G. G. Ivey, D. L. Gallaway, B. M. “Hydroplaning, Hydrodynamic Drag, and Vehicle Stability,” “Frictional Interaction of Tire and Pavement” Meyer W. E. Walter J. D. American Society for Testing and Materials 151 166 1983
- “Basic Training,” Sears Tires, Division 95 Sears Roebuck and Company Chicago, Illinois 1986
- French, T. Tyre Technology Adam Hilger, Publisher Bristol and New York 0-85274-360-2 1988
- Michelin Passenger & Light Truck Tire Owners Manual February 1988
- Allen, R. W. Szostak, H. T. Rosenthal, T. J. Klyde, D. H. Owens, K. J. “Characteristics Influencing Ground Vehicle Lateral/Directional Dynamic Stability,” SAE Paper No. 910234 February 1991
- Pirelli Cinturado Guide 21st Pirelli Armstrong Tire Corporation 500 Sargent Drive, New Haven 1992
- Dunlop Technical Service Bulletin “Tire Replacement Update,” Buffalo, New York 1994
- Michelin America Small Tires (MAST) 1995 Fitment Guide
- Dunlop Passenger, Performance, Light Truck, Van and Sport Utility Vehicle Tire Fitment Guide Dunlop Tire Corporation Buffalo, New York 1995
- Nevin, F. “Hydroplaning and Accident Reconstruction,” SAE Paper No. 950138 1995
- Wohanka, U. Essers, U. “Influence of Waterfilm Thickness on Tyre Force and Moment Characteristics, Measured on Public Roads,” European Automobile Engineers Cooperation, 5 th International Congress Strasbourg June 1995
- Winfield, B. “Stretching the Rubber Envelope Isn't Easy,” 36 Car and Driver July 1995
- Michelin Technical Bulletin PE-95-18 “RainForce MX4 Tire Mixing/Compatibility,” Michelin North America, Inc. Greenville, South Carolina December 11 1995
- Dixon, J. C. Tires, Suspension and Handling 2nd The Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1996
- Mooney, S. Wood, D. “Locked Wheel Car Braking in Shallow Water,” SAE Paper No. 960653 February 1996
- Day, T. D. “Validation of the EDVSM 3-Dimensional Vehicle Simulator,” SAE Paper No. 970958 February 1997
- Blythe, W. Day, T. D. Grimes, W. D. “3-Dimensional Simulation of Vehicle Response to Tire Blow-outs,” SAE Paper No. 980221 February 1998
- “Technical Correspondence”, Letter: “Best Place for Trouble,” 130 Road & Track February 2001