This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Lift and Side Force Corrections for Wind Tunnel Measurements of Ground Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The limited size of a wind tunnel test section can result in serious errors in the measured results. Therefore corrections for blockage effects are quite commonly used in automotive wind tunnel tests. A second type of test section boundary interaction apart from blockage is a biased flow angle due to lift of the test object. This wind tunnel effect is typically also corrected for in aerospace applications, but not in automotive tests. The reason for this is, that lift corrections are normally negligible for ground vehicles. The general validity of this statement will be demonstrated in this paper. In addition, two special cases will be discussed, where lift corrections are in fact of interest. The first example is the correction of measurements under yawed conditions. The lift correction is transformed into a side force correction in this case. In the second example, the effect of the test section height to width ratio on the lift correction for race cars is studied. From this, design guidelines for the height to width ratio can be derived. In both cases the analysis is based on the classical approach using potential flow theory. In addition, the theoretical results are compared with full scale test data from different wind tunnels.
CitationWickern, G., "Lift and Side Force Corrections for Wind Tunnel Measurements of Ground Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0533, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0533.
- PRANDTL, L. Application of modern hydrodynamics to aeronautics NACA TR 116 1921
- GLAUERT, H. Wind tunnel interference on wings, bodies and airscrews ARC, R.&M. 1566 1933
- THEODORSEN, T. The theory of wind-tunnel wall interference NACA TR 410 1931
- VAN SCHLIESTETT, G. Experimental verification of Theodorsen's theoretical jet-boundary correction factors NACA TN 506 1934
- BARLOW, J.B. RAE, W.H. POPE, A.: Low-Speed Wind Tunnel Testing John Wiley & Sons New York 1999
- PANKHURST, R. C. HOLDER, D. W. Wind tunnel technique Pitman, London 1965
- GARNER, H. C. Subsonic wind tunnel wall corrections AGARDograph 109 1966
- EWALD, B. Wind tunnel wall corrections AGARDograph 336 1998
- RAYMOND, A.E. Ground influence on airfoils NACA TN 67 1921
- BROWN, W.S. Wind tunnel corrections on ground effect ARC, R.&M. 1865 1938
- SANDERS, J. Wind tunnel corrections in ground effect tests NRC, Report MA-194 1947
- TRUCKENBRODT, E. Fluidmechanik 2 Springer Verlag Berlin 1980