This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Computational and Experimental Evaluation of a Pad Correction for a Wind Tunnel Balance Equipped for Rotating Wheels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In a wind tunnel with simulation of the rotating wheels the measured lift is affected by pressure forces acting on the surface of the mini belts used to drive the wheels. The belt surface is part of the weighted model and the pressure forces therefore have to be subtracted to obtain the correct lift result. For stationary wheels this pad correction can be determined experimentally, but this is not possible for rotating wheels. Therefore a computational investigation was carried out using the CFD code FLUENT. The calculation is first verified for the case of stationary wheels and is then extended to rotating wheel case. The influence of a number of parameters as pad dimensions, position on the pad, vehicle shape and tire dimensions is studied. An approximate correction both for rotating and stationary wheels is given for the wind tunnel in question.
The investigation described in the paper is a good example for the necessary integration between state of the art test techniques and advanced CFD calculations.
CitationWickern, G. and Beese, E., "Computational and Experimental Evaluation of a Pad Correction for a Wind Tunnel Balance Equipped for Rotating Wheels," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0532, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0532.
- HUCHO W.-H. Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles 4th SAE Detroit 1998
- POTTHOFF J. 1994 2001
- SCHOPPER H.-D. 1989
- WIEDEMANN J. WICKERN G. EWALD B. MATTERN C. Audi Aero-Acoustic Wind Tunnel SAE Technical Paper 930300 Detroit 1993
- WICKERN G LINDENER N. The Audi Aeroacoustic Wind Tunnel: Final Design and First Operational Experience SAE 2000-01-0868 2000
- MERCKER E. BERNEBURG H. Simulation der Straβenfahrt eines Pkw im Windkanal durch bewegten Boden und drehende Räder Simulation of the vehicle moving on the road in a wind tunnel by moving ground and rotating wheels “Aerodynamik des Kraftfahrzeugs” Conference on Vehicle Aerodynamics Essen 1992
- HIRT M. Simulation der Radumströmung an dem AUDI A3 mit dem Programmsystem FLUENT Simulation of the Flow around the Wheel for an Audi A3 using the CFD-Code FLUENT Diploma Thesis Fachhochschule Bochum Bochum 2000