This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Characteristic Parameter to Estimate the Optimum Counterweight Mass of a 4-Cylinder In-Line Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A dimensionless relationship that estimates the maximum bearing load of a 4-cylinder 4-stroke in-line engine has been found. This relationship may assist the design engineer in choosing a desired counterweight mass. It has been demonstrated that: 1) the average bearing load increases with engine speed and 2) the maximum bearing load initially decreases with engine speed, reaches a minimum, then increases quickly with engine speed. This minimum refers to a transition speed at which the contribution of the inertia force overcomes the contribution of the maximum pressure force to the maximum bearing load. The transition speed increases with an increase of counterweight mass and is a function of maximum cylinder pressure and the operating parameters of the engine.
CitationStanley, R. and Taraza, D., "A Characteristic Parameter to Estimate the Optimum Counterweight Mass of a 4-Cylinder In-Line Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0486, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0486.
- Shigley, J. Mischke, C. 1989 “Mechanical Engineering Design” 5th McGraw Hill New York
- Eichhorn, U. Gassmann, S. Schoenefeld, U. 1989 “Influence of Crankshaft Balancing Rate for a Gasoline Engine” MTZ 50 10
- Schwarzel, W. Bartsch, G. 1981 “The New 1.6L Opel 4-Cylinder OHC Engines” MTZ 42 9
- Riad, M. Ghazy, A, 1991 “Assessment of the Removal of the Crankshaft Balance Weights on Bearing Caps Vibration and Engine Noise” SAE Paper # 911058
- Querengaesser, J. Meyer, J. Schaefer, E. Wolschendorf, J. 1997 “The Effect of Cranktrain Design on Powertrain NVH” SAE Paper # 971994
- Prakash, V. Aprameyan, K. Shrinivasa, U. “An FEM Based Approach to Crankshaft Dynamics and Life Estimation” SAE Paper # 980565
- Mikulec, A. Reams, L. Chottiner, J. Page, R. Lee, So-duk “Cranktrain Component Conceptualization and Weight Optimization” SAE Paper # 980566
- Raub, J. Jones, J. Kley, P. Rebbert, M. 1999 “Analytical Investigation of Crankshaft Dynamics as a Virtual Engine Model” SAE Paper # 1999-01-1750
- Taraza, D. 1985 “Dynamica Motoarelor Cu Ardere Interna” Editura Didactica Si Pedagogica Bucharest, Romania
- Stanley, R. Taraza, D. 2001 “Bearing Characteristic Parameters to Estimate the Optimum Counterweight Mass of a Six-Cylinder In-Line Engine” ASME ICE Spring 2001 Conference Proceedings 36-3