This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on Gasoline Fueled Compression Ignition Engine ∼ A Trial of Operation Region Expansion ∼
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A fundamental examination was made of gasoline-fueled homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) combustion under various compression ratios, intake temperatures and intake gas compositions. The results revealed the basic combustion characteristics, and the ignition timing and combustion duration were found for every set of conditions. Suitable intake air temperatures were also determined for every operating condition. Internal residual gas was used to raise the mixture temperature in the cylinder. The region of maximum engine speed was expanded without heating the intake air. Minimum and maximum indicated mean effective pressures (IMEP) were found in several engine speed regions under several residual gas rates. Based on the results, a comprehensive interpretation is given of conventional HCCI combustion in 2- and 4-stroke gasoline engines.
CitationHiraya, K., Hasegawa, K., Urushihara, T., Iiyama, A. et al., "A Study on Gasoline Fueled Compression Ignition Engine ∼ A Trial of Operation Region Expansion ∼," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0416, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0416.
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (Hcci) Combustion 2002
Number: SP-1688; Published: 2002-03-04
Number: SP-1688; Published: 2002-03-04
- Najt, P. M. Foster, D. E. “Compression-Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion” SAE Paper 830264 1983
- Thring, R. H. “Homogeneous-Charge Compression-Ignition (HCCI) Engines” SAE Paper 892068 1989
- Yanagihara, H. Satou, Y. Mizuta, J. “A Simultaneous Reduction of NOx and Soot in Diesel Engines under a New Combustion System (Uniform Bulky Combustion System-UNIBUS) 17 th , Int. Viena Motor Symposium 1996
- Takeda, Y. Nakagome, K. Niimura, K. “Emission Characteristics of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion with Extremely Early Staged Fuel Injection” SAE Paper 961163 1996
- Harada, A. Shimazaki, N. Sasaki, S. Miyamoto, T. Akagawa, H. Tsujimura, K. “The Effects of Mixture Formation on Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion” SAE Paper 980553 1998
- Iida, N. “Combustion Analysis of Methanol - Fueled Active Thermo-Atomosphere Combustion (ATAC) Engine Using a Spectroscopic Observation” SAE Paper 940684 1994
- Stanglmaier, R. H. Ryan T. W. III Souder, J. S. “HCCI Operation of a Dual-Fuel Natural Gas Engine for Improved Fuel Efficiency and Ultra-Low NOx Emissions at Low to Moderate Engine Loads” SAE Paper 2001-01-1897 2001
- Onishi, S. Jo, S. H. Shoda, K. Jo, P. D. Kato, S. “Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) - A New Combustion Process for Internal Combustion Engines” SAE Paper 790501 1979
- Ishibashi, Y. Asai, M. “A Low Pressure Pneumatic Direct Injection Two-Stroke Engine by Activated Radical Combustion Concept” SAE Paper 980757 1998
- Aoyama, T. Hattori, Y. Mizuta, J. Sato, Y. “An Experimental Study on Premixed-Charge Compression Ignition Gasoline Engine” SAE Paper 960081 1996
- Willand, J. Nieberding, R. Vent G. Enderle, C. “The Knocking Syndrome - Its Cure and Its Potential” SAE Paper 982483 1998
- Jacques, L. Dabadie, J. Angelberger, C. Duret, P. Willand, J. Juretzka, A. Schaflein, J. Ma, T. Lendresse, Y. Satre, A. Schulz, C. Kramer, H. Zhao, H. Damiano, L. “Innovative Ultra-low NOx Controlled Auto-Ignition Combustion Process for Gasoline Engine: the 4-SPACE Project” SAE Paper 2000-01-1837 2000
- Morikawa, et al. “First Report Concerning Research on a Premixed-Charge Compression Ignition Gasoline Engine,” Scientific Lecture Series at 2001 Spring Congress of JSAE, No. 51-01 5 8
- Woschni, G. “Universally Applicable Equation for the Instantaneous Heat Transfer Coefficent in the Internal Combustion Engine” SAE Paper 670931 , SAE Trans. 76 1967