This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Semi-Solid Metal Processing of Aluminum Alloy A390
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hypereutectic aluminum-silicon alloy 390 offers properties akin to a composite material exhibiting outstanding wear characteristics, excellent high temperature strength, a high modulus of elasticity and a low thermal expansion coefficient. These properties make 390 a promising candidate for heavy wear conditions. Liquid casting with 390, however, poses several problems thus making semi-solid processing an attractive alternative. In this study, a motorcycle sprocket was semi-solid metal (SSM) cast with A390. The resulting mechanical behavior and wear resistance was promising for parts that will undergo heavy wear applications. Use of this alloy in semi-solid production should prove to be an attractive alternative for automotive engineers.
|Aerospace Material Specification||Plating, Chromium, Porous|
|Technical Paper||Understanding the Process Mechanisms Is Key to Reliable Resistance Spot Welding Aluminum Auto Body Components|
|Technical Paper||Plasma Thermochemical Processing of Austenitic Stainless Steel for Combined Wear and Corrosion Resistance|
CitationMidson, S., Keist, J., and Svare, J., "Semi-Solid Metal Processing of Aluminum Alloy A390," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0394, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0394.
- Jorstad John L. The hypereutectic aluminum-silicon alloy used to cast the Vega engine block Casting Engineering September October 1971 10 20
- Flemings Merton C. Behavior of metal alloys in the semi-solid state Metallurgical Transactions A 22A 5 957 981 May 1991
- VELVETflow A pamphlet by Ormet Primary Aluminum Corporation on rheocast raw material for semi-solid processing
- Midson Stephen P. Miller John Jorstad John L. Semi-solid metal casting gains respect Foundry Management & Technology March 2001 26 42
- Midson Stephen Rudnev Valery Gallik Richard Semi-solid processing of aluminum alloys Industrial Heating January 1999
- Aluminum and Aluminum Alloys ASM International 1993
- Kapranos P. et al. “Development of hypereutectic aluminum alloys for thixoforming based on the A390 composition” 6 th International Conference on Semi-Solid Processing of Alloys and Composites 2000 741 746