This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Estimating Weight Reduction Effects of Material Substitution on Joints with Constant Stiffness
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The concept of a structural index, λ, is developed using the simple example of a hollow beam with a cantilever load case. It is assumed that when performing material substitution, only the thickness, t, is changed. It is shown that the stiffness, K, of the beam can be defined as a function of tλ, that 1 ≤ λ ≤ 3, and that λ can be used to predict the weight savings from material substitution where stiffness is held constant. It is then demonstrated that λ can be used to predict the weight savings from material substitution in the more complex cases of the joints of a light truck cab.
CitationPatton, R. and Edwards, M., "Estimating Weight Reduction Effects of Material Substitution on Joints with Constant Stiffness," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0368, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0368.
- Skalny, Paul “Government-Industry Partnership for Improving the Military's and Nation's Trucks: The 21st Century Truck Initiative” SAE Paper No. 2000-01-3420 Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers
- Das, Sujit Curlee, Randall Schexnayder, Susan “Materials used in New Generation Vehicles: Supplies, Shifts and Supporting Infrastructure,” Oak Ridge National Laboratory August 1997 1 10
- “Delphi IV Forecast and Analysis of the U.S. Automobile Industry, Volume 3: Materials” University of Michigan 34 47
- Nardini, D. Seeds, A. “Structural Design Considerations for Bonded Aluminum Structured Vehicles” SAE paper number 890716 Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers
- Komatsu, Y. et. al. “Application of All Aluminum Automotive Body for Honda NSX” SAE paper number 910548 Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers
- Gerard, G. Minimum Weight Analysis of Compression Structures New York University Press Washington Square, NY 1956 15 22
- Shanley, F.R. Weight-Strength Analysis of Aircraft Structures 2nd ed. Dover Publications NY, NY 1960 13 65
- Patton, R. et al “Advanced Material Technologies for 21 st Century Trucks” SAE paper number 2000-01-3424 Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers
- Ashby, M. F. Materials Selection in Mechanical Design Pergamon Press Oxford, UK 1993 56 69 132 151