This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Initiation and Growth of Delamination in Composite Integral Armor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Plane strain finite element analysis (FEA) is performed to investigate the initiation and growth of delamination in composite integral armor (CIA). The geometry and material properties of individual layers are key parameters, which are tested against three different durations of impact. Explicit dynamic FEA code LS-DYNA is used to study plane-strain stress wave propagation through the thickness (T-T) in armor. T-T stress states are presented in the time-space domain to explain time and location of failure/damage mechanism such as delamination.
CitationGama, B., Haque, J., Gillespie, J., and Bogetti, T., "Initiation and Growth of Delamination in Composite Integral Armor," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0365, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0365.
- Fink, B. K. Performance Metrics for Composite Integral Armor J of Thermoplastic Composite Materials 2000 13 10 417 431
- Gama, B. A. Bogetti, T. A. Fink, B. K. Yu, C-J. Claar, T. D. Eifert, H. H. Gillespie J. W. Jr., Aluminum Foam Integral Armor: A New Dimension in Armor Design Composite Structures 2001 52 381 395
- Gama, B. A. Gillespie J. W. Jr., Bogetti, T. A. Fink, B. K. Innovative Design and Ballistic Performance of Lightweight Composite Integral Armor SAE Technical Paper Series, No. 2001-01-0888 SAE 2001 World Congress Detroit, MI March 5-8 2001
- Gama, B. A. Gillespie J. W. Jr., Mahfuz, H. Bogetti T. A. Fink, B. K. Effect of Non-Linear Material Behavior on the Through-Thickness Stress Wave Propagation in Multi-Layer Hybrid Lightweight Armor Advances in Computational Engineering & Sciences I Atluri S. N. Brust F. W. 157 162 2000
- LS-DYNA Keyword User's Manual. Version 960, Part I and II Livermore, CA 2001
- Meyers, M. A. Dynamic Behavior of Materials New York Wiley 1994
- Fink, B. K. Gillespie J. W. Jr., Cost-Effective Manufacturing of Damage Tolerant ntegral Armor ARL Technical Report. ARL-TR-2319 September 2000
- Tanoglu, M. Robert, S. Heider, D. McKnight, S. H. Brachos, V. Gillespie J. W. Jr., Effects of Thermoplastic Preforming Binder on the Properties of S2-Glass Fabric Reinforced Epoxy Composites Int. J of Adhesion & Adhesives 2001