This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Exhaust Gas Aftertreatment of Volkswagen FSI Fuel Stratified Injection Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For substantial reduction of fuel consumption of their vehicle fleet, Volkswagen AG has decided to develop spark-ignition engines with direct fuel injection. To launch this new engine concept with stratified lean operation mode while at the same time meeting the stringent EU IV emission standards, it was necessary to develop a suitable exhaust gas aftertreatment system. This was achieved as part of an intensive co-operation between Volkswagen AG and OMG, formerly dmc2 Degussa Metals Catalysts Cerdec AG.
The paper describes the demands for exhaust gas aftertreatment due to lean burn operation. In addition the main development steps of the exhaust gas aftertreatment system for Volkswagen FSI engines and catalyst durability over vehicle lifetime are discussed. Focus is laid on the catalyst system design and coating variations. Volkswagen developed a new closed-loop emission control management system which uses NOx-sensor signals for the first time worldwide.
European fuel quality standards required the development of a new active and lambda-controlled desulfation process. Although the Volkswagen FSI exhaust gas aftertreatment concept can withstand high fuel sulfur contents, sulfur-free fuel is required for best fuel economy. With widespread available sulfur-free fuel, advanced NOx storing components with a wider NOx activity window can be used, which leads to more frequent use of fuel-saving lean operation mode.
CitationKrebs, R., Pott, E., Kreuzer, T., Göbel, U. et al., "Exhaust Gas Aftertreatment of Volkswagen FSI Fuel Stratified Injection Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0346, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0346.
- Glück, K. Göbel, U. Hahn, H. Höhne, J. Krebs, R. Kreuzer, T. Pott, E. Cleaning the Exhaust Gas of Volkswagen FSI Engines MTZ 61 2000 6
- Inagaki, H. Oshima, T. Miyata, S. Kondo, N. NOx Meter Utilizing ZrO 2 Pumping Cell SAE 980266
- Krebs, R. Spiegel, L. Stiebels, B. Direct Injection SI Engines from Volkswagen Aachener Kolloquium Fahrzeug- und Motorentechnik 1999
- Krebs, R. Stiebels, B. Spiegel, L. Pott, E. FSI - Gasoline Direct Injection Engine for the Volkswagen Lupo Wiener Motorensymposium 2000
- Krebs, R. Pott, E. Stiebels, B. Emission concept of the Volkswagen Lupo FSI Aachener Kolloquium Fahrzeug- und Motorentechnik 2000
- Winterkorn, M. Bohne, P. Spiegel, L. Söhlke, G. The Lupo FSI from Volkswagen Economy can be fun ATZ 102 2000 10 11