This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High-Beam and Low-Beam Headlighting Patterns in the U.S. and Europe at the Turn of the Millennium
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study was designed to provide photometric information about current U.S. and European high- and low-beam headlamps. The sample included 20 headlamps manufactured for use on the 20 best-selling passenger vehicles for model year 2000 in the U.S., and 20 headlamps manufactured for use on the 20 best-selling passenger vehicles for model year 2000 in Europe. The vehicles sampled represent 49% and 47%, respectively, of all vehicles sold in the U.S. and in Europe. The lamps were purchased directly from vehicle dealerships. The photometric information for each lamp was weighted by the sales figures for the corresponding vehicle. The results are presented both in tabular form for the 25th-percentile, the median (50th-percentile), and the 75th-percentile luminous intensities, as well as in graphical form (for the median luminous intensities), both for high- and low-beam headlamps (from 45° left to 45° right, and from 5° down to 7° up).
CitationSchoettle, B., Sivak, M., and Flannagan, M., "High-Beam and Low-Beam Headlighting Patterns in the U.S. and Europe at the Turn of the Millennium," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0262, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0262.
- Automotive News 2001 January 8 Detroit Crain Communications Inc.
- Automotive News Europe 2000 January 31 London Crain Communications Inc.
- Sivak, M. Flannagan, M.J. Budnik, E.A. Flannagan, C.C. Kojima, S. 1997 The locations of headlamps and driver eye positions in vehicles sold in the U.S. Ergonomics 40 872 878
- Sivak, M. Flannagan, M.J. Kojima, S. Traube, E.C. 1998 A market-weighted description of low-beam headlighting patterns in the U.S. SAE Technical Paper Series No. 980317 Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers
- Sivak, M. Flannagan, M.J. Schoettle, B. 2001 A market-weighted description of low-beam headlighting patterns in Europe SAE Technical Paper Series No. 2001-01-0857 Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers