This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Turbulence on Peak and Average Pressures on a Car Door
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The influence of turbulence on automotive aerodynamics requires further investigation. This paper provides evidence that turbulence directly affects average and peak forces on the front door of a sedan automobile. Wind tunnel and several on-road test conditions were investigated. The results include instantaneous peak and average force coefficients, together with experimental pressure contour plots for a sedan front door.
The pressure distribution over the front door of an automobile is important for efficient structural and door seal design. Door pressure distributions vary with flow turbulence characteristics. The results presented in this paper show that turbulent properties of the flow are of importance when investigating flow over the front door of a sedan automobile.
CitationGilhome, B. and Saunders, J., "The Effect of Turbulence on Peak and Average Pressures on a Car Door," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0253, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0253.
- Bearman P.W. Mullarkey S.P. 1994 Aerodynamic Forces on Road Vehicles Due to Steady Side Winds and Gusts Proceedings of meeting on Vehicles Aerodynamics Royal Aeronautical Society London 4.1 4.12
- Cooper R. K. 1984 Atmospheric Turbulence with respect to Ground Vehicles Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 17
- Gilhome B.R. 2001 Automobile Near-Wake Flow PhD Thesis Monash University Clayton, Victoria, Australia
- Kármán T. von 1948 Progress in the Statistical Theory of Turbulence Physics, Proc. N.A.S. 34
- Mousley P.D. Watkins S. 2000 A Method of Flow Measurement About Full-Scale and Model-Scale Vehicles Society of Automotive Engineers SAE 2000-01-0871
- Mousley P.D. Watkins S. O'Shea P. 2001 Modulation of In-Cabin Car Wind Noise by Atmospheric Winds 8th International Congress on Sound and Vibration Hong Kong 2-5 July 2001
- Peric C. Watkins S. Lindqvist E. Saunders J.W. 1997 Effects of On-Road Turbulence on Automotive Wind Noise: Comparing Wind-Tunnel and On-Road Tests SAE Paper 970406
- Society of Automotive Engineers 1994 Aerodynamic Testing of Road Vehicles – Open Throat Wind Tunnel Adjustment SAE J2071
- Saunders J.W. Mansour R.B. 2000 On-Road and Wind Tunnel Turbulence and its Measurement Using a Four-Hole Dynamic Probe Ahead of Several Cars SAE Paper 2001-01-0350
- Watkins S. Saunders J.W. 1995 Turbulence Experienced by Road Vehicles under Normal Driving Conditions SAE Paper 950997
- Watkins S. Saunders J.W. Hoffmann P.H. Holmes J.D. 1995 Measurements of Turbulence Experienced by Moving Vehicles, Part 1, Turbulence Intensity Journal of Wind Engineering & Industrial Aerodynamics 57 1 17
- Watkins S. Saunders J.W. 1998 A Review of the Wind Conditions Experienced by a Moving Vehicle SAE Paper 981182