This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Laboratory Experience with the IR-TRACC Chest Deflection Transducer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In 1998, Rouhana et al. described development of a new device, called the IR-TRACC (InfraRed - Telescoping Rod for Assessment of Chest Compression). In its original concept, the IR-TRACC uses two infrared LEDs inside of a telescoping rod to measure deflection. One LED serves as a light transmitter and the other as a light receiver. The output from the receiver LED is converted to a linear function of chest compression using an analog circuit.
Tests have been performed with IR-TRACC units at various labs around the world since 1998. A first-generation IR-TRACC system was retrofit into a Q3 dummy by TNO. Similarly, a mid sized male Hybrid III dummy thorax and a small female Hybrid III dummy thorax have been designed by First Technology Safety Systems (FTSS) such that each contains 4 second-generation IR-TRACC units. The second-generation IR-TRACC is the result of continued development by FTSS, especially in the areas of the analysis circuit, manufacturing and calibration methods.
This paper presents the results of these efforts with the IR-TRACC and the current state of knowledge relative to its use and usefulness.
|Technical Paper||Calibrated Virtual Environment for Packaging Design Studies|
|Technical Paper||Obstacle Detection for Power Folding Seats|
|Technical Paper||Kinematic optimization of the windshield wiper system based on MATLAB|
CitationRouhana, S., Elhagediab, A., Twisk, D., Berliner, J. et al., "Laboratory Experience with the IR-TRACC Chest Deflection Transducer," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0188, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0188.
Airbag Technology 2002
Number: SP-1669; Published: 2002-03-04
Number: SP-1669; Published: 2002-03-04
- Rouhana, S.W. Elhagediab, A.M. Chapp, J.J. “A High-Speed Sensor for Measuring Chest Deflection in Crash Test Dummies.” Proceedings of the Sixteenth International Technical Conference on Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, Technical Paper No. 98-S9-O-15 Windsor, Canada 1998
- Schneider, L.W. Haffner, M.P. Eppinger, R.H. Salloum, M.J. Beebe, M.S. Rouhana, S.W King, A.I. Hardy, W.N. Neathery, R.F. “Development of an Advanced ATD Thorax System for Improved Injury Assessment in Frontal Crash Environments” Proceedings of the 36th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Technical Paper Number 922520 129 156 1992
- Woley, P.F. “Development of an Articulated Arm Chest Deflection Transducer” GM Environmental Activities Staff Publication Number A-3340 1976
- Foster, J.K. Kortge, J.O. Wolanin, M.J. “Hybrid III - A Biomechanically-Based Crash Test Dummy” Proceedings of the 21st Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Technical Paper Number 770938 975 1014 1977
- Wiechel, J.F. Bell, S. Pritz, H. Guenther, D. “Enhancement of the Hybrid III Dummy Thorax” Proceedings of the 29th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Technical Paper Number 851732 147 158 1985
- Backaitis, S.H. St-Laurent, A. “Chest Deflection Characteristics of Volunteers and Hybrid III Dummies” Proceedings of the 30th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Technical Paper Number 861884 157 166 1986
- Ogata, K. Chiba, M. Kawai, H. Asakura, F. “Development of a Sternum Displacement Sensing System for Hybrid III Dummy” Proceedings of the Thirteenth International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles, SAE Technical Paper Number 916124 947 956 1991
- Minutes of the SAE Chest Deflection Task Force of the Human Biomechanics and Simulation Standards Committee 1995-1996
- Haffner, M. “Feasibility of Using IR-TRACC Device in THOR” GESAC Draft Final Report, Personal Communication 2001
- Chapp, J. “Lear Corporation IR-TRACC Test Data” Personal Communication 2000
- Berliner, J. Athey, J. Baayoun, E. Byrnes, K.. Elhagediab, A. Hultman, R. Jensen, J. Kim, A. Kostyniuk, G. Mertz, H. Prest, J. Rouhana, S. Scherer, R. Xu, L. “Comparative Evaluation of the Q3 and Hybrid III 3 year-old Dummies in Biofidelity and Static Out-of-Position Airbag Tests” Stapp Car Crash Journal, Vol. 44, Technical Paper Number 2000-01-SC03 2000
- Twisk, D. “IR-TRACC Sensor in Q Dummies” TNO Report 99.OR.BV.045.0/DT 1999
- Tylko, S. Dalmotas, D. “Transport Canada Multi-Point IR-TRACC Thorax Measurements” Personal Communication 2001
- Waters, G. “Transportation Research Center of Ohio Q3 Calibration Test Data” Personal Communication 1999
- TNO “TNO Q3 Dummy User Documentation” March 1999
- Hybrid III Dummy Users Manual
- WorldSID Users Manual (Draft), Version 1.1 February 2001