This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Weld Pitch Variation on the Performance of a Two-Piece Spot-Welded Body Structure
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose of this study is to examine the effect of spot weld spacing on the stiffness and natural frequency of a two-piece welded body structure. The variation in spot weld spacing may occur either by design or due to assembly mistakes. In this study, rectangular beam cross sections with six different weld flange orientations are first considered. Finite element analysis is performed to compare the fundamental frequencies of these sections in bending and torsion. Weld pitch and sheet thickness are varied on two of the sections considered, namely the L-shaped and the clamshell sections. The effects of spot weld spacing on the bending stiffness, torsional stiffness, frequency response and mode shapes of these two sections are determined. Comparisons are made with seam welded sections. It is shown that the torsional stiffness and first torsional frequency can be severely affected by weld pitch, but the effect on the bending performance is not as severe.
CitationKuhn, R. and Mallick, P., "Effect of Weld Pitch Variation on the Performance of a Two-Piece Spot-Welded Body Structure," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0152, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0152.
- Fenton J. Handbook of Vehicle Design Analysis Society of Automotive Engineers Inc. Warrendale, Pa. 1996
- Webster Larry What's All This Business About Structural Rigidity? Car and Driver Magazine May 1996
- Banner T. Deutschel B. Hamilton D. Juras P. Development of the 2001 Pontiac Aztek Body Structure SAE Paper No. 2000-01-1343 2000
- Antonsson E. K. Scott M. J. Preliminary Vehicle Structure Design with Imprecise Information Engineering Design Research Laboratory, California Institute of Technology June-September 1997
- Cronin D. Pal K. Static and Dynamic Characteristics of Spot Welded Sheet Metal Beams Journal of Engineering for Industry 117 August 1995 316 322