This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
GDI HCCI: Effects of Injection Timing and Air Swirl on Fuel Stratification, Combustion and Emissions Formation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
HCCI-combustion with direct injection of gasoline using a standard GDI-injector is investigated in this work. The test engine is a 6-cylinder heavy-duty diesel engine with one cylinder operating in HCCI-mode. Exhaust gases from one of the diesel cylinders serve as simulated EGR. Electric heaters are used to raise the inlet temperature when no EGR is applied. The piston bowl is modified to match the hollow-cone spray better than the original re-entrant piston. Spray imaging outside the engine shows the characteristics of the fuel spray.
Injection timing sweeps show that a homogeneous charge is created when the injection is performed in the middle of the intake stroke for a moderate fuel/air-equivalence ratio of 0.29. This leads to low emissions of NOx and Smoke.
Using a homogeneous mixture when the fuel/air-equivalence ratio is reduced to 0.20 leads to low combustion efficiency with associated high levels of CO and HC emissions. The combustion efficiency can for this fuelling rate be improved by retarded injection that creates fuel stratification at the time of autoignition. However, retarding the injection too much results in high NOx production and propensity for knocking combustion. A trade-off between the combustion efficiency and the emissions of NOx is recognized.
Increased air swirl decreases HC, CO and Smoke emissions, especially when the injection timing is earlier or later than the optimal. This is attributed to improved fuel/air mixing and demonstrates the role of air swirl in a directly injected HCCI combustion system.
|Technical Paper||HCCI-Combustion in the Z Engine|
|Technical Paper||HCCI-Combustion in the Z Engine - Part II|
|Technical Paper||Three Dimensional Calculations of DI Diesel Engine Combustion and Comparison whit In Cylinder Sampling Valve Data|
CitationSjöberg, M., Edling, L., Eliassen, T., Magnusson, L. et al., "GDI HCCI: Effects of Injection Timing and Air Swirl on Fuel Stratification, Combustion and Emissions Formation," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0106, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0106.
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (Hcci) Combustion 2002
Number: SP-1688; Published: 2002-03-04
Number: SP-1688; Published: 2002-03-04
- Dec J. E. “A Conceptual Model of DI Diesel Combustion Based on Laser-Sheet Imaging” SAE paper 970873
- Flynn P. F. Durett R. P. Hunter G. L. zur Loye A. O. Akinyemi O. C. Dec J. E. Westbrook C. K. “Diesel Combustion: An Integrated View Combining Laser Diagnostics, Chemical Kinetics, and Empirical Validation” SAE paper 1999-01-0509
- Olsson J-.O. Tunestål P. Haraldsson G. Johansson B. “A Turbo Charged Duel Fuel HCCI Engine” SAE paper 2001-01-1896
- Martinez-Frias J. Aceves S. M. Flowers D. Smith J. R. Dibble R. “HCCI Engine Control by Thermal Management” SAE paper 2000-01-2869
- Au M. Y. Girard J. W. Dibble R. Flowers D. Aceves S. M. Martinez-Frias J. Smith R. Seibel C. Maas U. “1.9-Liter Four Cylinder HCCI Engine Operation with Exhaust Gas Recirculation” SAE paper 2001-01-1894
- Christensen M. Hultqvist A. Johansson B. “Demonstrating the Multi Fuel Capability of a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine with Variable Compression Ratio” SAE paper 1999-01-3679
- Kaahaaina N. B. Simon A. J. Caton P. A. Edwards C. F. “Use of Dynamic Valving to Achieve Residual-Affected Combustion” SAE paper 2001-01-0549
- Law D. Kemp D. Allen J. Kirkpatrick G. Copland T. “Controlled Combustion in an IC-Engine with a Fully Variable Valve Train” SAE paper 2001-01-0251
- Olsson J-.O. Tunestål P. Johansson B. “Closed-Loop Control of an HCCI Engine” SAE paper 2001-01-1031
- Stanglmaier R. H. Ryan T. W. III Souder J. S. “HCCI Operation of a Duel-Fuel Natural Gas Engine for Improved Fuel Efficiency and Ultra-Low NO x Emissions at Low to Moderate Engine Loads” SAE paper 2001-01-1897
- Christensen M. Johansson B. Hultqvist A. “The Effect of Piston Topland Geometry on Emissions of Unburned Hydrocarbons from a Homogeneous Charge Compressions Ignition (HCCI) Engine” SAE paper 2001-01-1893
- Westbrook C. K. “Chemical Kinetics of Hydrocarbon Ignition in Practical Combustion Systems” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 28 1563 1577 2000
- Schänzlin K. Koch T. Tzannis A. P. Boulouchos K. “Characterization of Mixture Formation in a Direct Injected Spark Ignition Engine” SAE paper 2001-01-1909
- Turns S. R. “An Introduction to Combustion” McGraw-Hill 0-07-114783-7
- Heywood J. B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill 0-07-100499-8
- Han D. Steeper R. R. “Examination of Isooctane/Ketone Mixtures for Quantitative LIF Measurements in a DISI Engine” SAE paper 2002-01-0837
- Dec J. E. “A computational Study of the Effects of Low Fuel Loading and EGR on Heat Release Rates and Combustion Limits in HCCI Engines” SAE paper 2002-01-1309
- Grandin B. “Knock in Gasoline Engines - The effects of mixture composition on knock onset and heat transfer” Chalmers University of Technology Sweden 2001
- Christensen M. Johansson B. “Influence of Mixture Quality on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition” SAE paper 982454
- Kawabata Y. Sakonji T. Amano T. “The effect of NO x on Knock in Spark-Ignition Engines” SAE paper 1999-01-0572
- Aceves S. M. Flowers D. L. Martinez-Frias J. Smith J. R. Westbrook C. K. Pitz W. J. Dibble R. Wright J. F. Akinyemi W. C. Hessel R. P. “A Sequential Fluid-Mechanic Chemical-Kinetic Model of Propane HCCI Combustion” SAE paper 2001-01-1027
- Harada A. Shimazaki N. Sasaki S. Miyamoto T. Akagawa H. Tsujimura K. “The Effects of Mixture Formation on Premixed Lean Combustion” SAE paper 980533
- Yamamoto H. Niimura K. “Characteristics of Fuel Sprays from Specially Shaped and Impinging Flow Nozzles” SAE paper 950082
- Akagawa H. Miyamoto T. Harada A. Sasaki S. Shimazaki N. Hashizume T. Tsujimura K. “Approaches to Solve Problems of the Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion” SAE paper 1999-01-0183
- Nishijima Y. Asaumi Y. Aoyagi Y. “Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion (PREDIC) using Impingement Spray System” SAE paper 2001-01-1892
- Tsurushima T. Miyamoto T. Akagawa H. Aoyagi Y. Lee J.-H. Lee D. Goto S. Wakisaka T. Ishiyama T. Kawanabe H. “Effects of Initial In-Cylinder Flow Field on Mixture Formation in a Premixed Compression Ignition Engine” SAE paper 2000-01-0331
- Noda T. Foster D. E. “A Numerical Study to Control Combustion Duration of Hydrogen-fueld HCCI by Using Multi-zone Chemical Kinetics Simulation” SAE paper 2001-01-0250
- Kelly-Zion P. L. Dec J. E. “A Computational Study of the Effects of Fuel-type on Ignition Time in HCCI Engines” 28 th International Symposium on Combustion Edinburgh, Scotland July/August 2000
- Grandin B. Ångström H-E. Stålhammar P. Olofsson E. “Knock Suppression in a Turbocharged SI Engine by Using Cooled EGR” SAE paper 982476
- Stevens E. Steeper R. “Piston Wetting in an Optical DISI Engine: Fuel Films, Pools Fires, and Soot Generation” SAE paper 2001-01-1203