This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparative Evaluation of Dummy Response with Thor-Lx/HIIIr and Hybrid III Lower Extremities
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Multiple series of frontal sled tests were performed to evaluate the new Thor-Lx/HIIIr lower extremity developed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for retrofit use on the 50th percentile male Hybrid III. This study's objective was to compare the Thor-Lx/HIIIr to the existing Hybrid III dummy leg (HIII) from the standpoint of repeatability and effects on femur and upper body response values.\ The test-to-test repeatability of the dummy responses, as measured by the coefficient of variation (CV), was generally acceptable (CV < 10%) for all of the test conditions for both legs. Overall, tests with the Thor-Lx/HIIIr legs produced upper body movement and injury criteria values for the head and chest that were acceptably consistent and were generally indistinguishable from those produced with the HIII leg. Low right femur loads, which ranged from 4 to 25 percent of the injury assessment reference value, varied substantially test-to-test for tests with both types of legs. Higher right femur loads in tests with the HIII legs were attributed to differences in leg construction and geometry.
CitationShaw, G., Rudd, R., Crandall, J., and Luo, F., "Comparative Evaluation of Dummy Response with Thor-Lx/HIIIr and Hybrid III Lower Extremities," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0016, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0016.
- Shams, T. Beach, D. White, R.P. Rangarajan, N. Haffner, M. Eppinger, R. Pritz, H. Kuppa, S. Beebe, M. 1999 “Development and Design of the Thor-Lx: The Thor Lower Extremity.” Proceedings of the 43 rd Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Paper 99SC09 San Diego, California 141 160
- Kuppa, S. Haffner, M. Eppinger, R. Saunders, J. 2001 “Lower Extremity Response and Trauma Assessment Using the Thor-Lx/HIIIr and the Denton Leg in Frontal Offset Vehicle Crashes.” 17 th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Amsterdam, Netherlands June
- Haffner, M. 2001 “Thor-Lx Advanced Lower Extremity (Thor-Lx/HIIIr).” http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/departments/nrd-51/thor_lx/thorlxweb.html
- Rudd, R.W. Crandall, J.R. Hjerpe, E. Håland, Y. 2001 “Evaluation of Lower Limb Injury Mitigation from Inflatable Carpet in Sled Tests with Intrusion Using the Thor Lx.” 17 th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Amsterdam, Netherlands June
- Foster, J. Kortge, J. Wolamin, M. 1977 “Hybrid III - A Biomechanically-based Crash Test Dummy.” SAE International Congress and Exposition SAE Paper 770938
- Hultman, R. Laske, T. Chou, C. Lim, G. Chrobak, E. Vecchio, M. 1991 “NHTSA Passenger Car Side Impact Dynamic Test Procedure - Test-to-Test Variability Estimates.” SAE International Congress and Exposition SAE Paper 910603
- Maugh, R. 1983 “Ford Motor Company's Response to Requests for Comments on NHTSA's Crash Test Repeatability Program.” NHTSA Docket No. 83-03, Notice 1 Ford Motor Company Dearborn, Michigan
- Kuppa, S. Wang, J. Haffner, M. Eppinger, R. 2001 “Lower Extremity Injuries and Associated Injury Criteria.” 17 th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Amsterdam, Netherlands June
- Rudd, R.W. Crandall, J.R. Butcher, J.T. 1999 “Biofidelity Evaluation of Dynamic and Static Response Characteristics of the Thor Lx Dummy Lower Extremity.” Proceedings of the International Research Council on the Biomechanics of Impact Conference Barcelona, Spain September 485 497