This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Predicting the Image Stability Rating for an Automotive Side View Mirror System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Reflected image stability is the fundamental parameter used in the automotive industry to measure rearview mirror performance. Unfortunately it has always been necessary to wait until production units were designed, tooled, and built before the stability could be evaluated. The purpose of this paper is to develop a theoretical model based on experimental analysis that would predict a mirror's performance before the design ever left the computer environment. Benefits of revising a virtual design via such a model would be significant and include: reduction in life cycle timing, lower total tool costs, and higher customer satisfaction. Through observation, three basic factors affecting mirror stability were determined; resonant frequency, total deflection, and the moment created by the wind effect. Next, computer level manipulation was performed on each factor via modal analysis, finite element analysis (FEA) and computational fluid dynamics (CFD). Correlation was then established between each factor and the stability performance rating. Six case studies along with regression analysis and analysis of variance were utilized to create the individual stability equations.
CitationCulp, T., "Predicting the Image Stability Rating for an Automotive Side View Mirror System," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0015, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0015.
- Automotive News 2000 North American Car and Truck Production 23 Dec. 2000
- Carlsoo S. 1982 The Effect of Vibration on the Skeleton, Joints and Muscles Applied Ergonomics 251 258
- Davenport A. G. Novak M. 1995 Vibration of Structures Induced by Wind McGraw Hill
- GM Reference manual 1992 Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 1.11 rearview mirrors – passenger cars, mltipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, buses, school buses and motorcycles
- Homsi E. Narain M. 1997 Vibration Control of Body-Mounted plastic Mirror Design SAE 982312
- Lewis A. L. 1996 The Glare from Rearview Mirrors: the role of afterimages Gentex Corporation
- Sanders M. S. McCormick E. J. 1987 Human Factors in Engineering and Design McGraw Hill 493