This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling of Combustion and Non-Equilibrium Ionization in Spark Ignition Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The combustion of hydrocarbon fuels in cylinders of Spark Ignition (SI) engine is accompanied with various non-equilibrium chemical transformations, which are responsible for the operational and ecological parameters of the engine.
Chemical non-equilibrium model and computer code of the combustion in a cylinder of SI engine was developed. It is based on the chemical kinetic model of combustion and interaction of combustion products. The model of the ionization current in a cylinder of SI engine was developed and added.
The created model provides the important understanding of such sophisticated processes as combustion products behavior, chemical and thermal ionization, production of pollutants etc. The model predicts two peaks in the ionization current with good amplitude and phasing performance. It illuminates physical processes including chemical and thermal ionization. The model predicts two major peaks in the ionization current with sufficient amplitude and phasing performance for a given class of engines.
CitationNaoumov, V., Demin, A., Andersson, I., and Sokolov, A., "Modeling of Combustion and Non-Equilibrium Ionization in Spark Ignition Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0009, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0009.
Modeling of SI Engines and Multi-Dimensional Engine Modeling
Number: SP-1702 ; Published: 2002-03-04
Number: SP-1702 ; Published: 2002-03-04
- Reinmann Raymond, Saitzkoff Andre, Mauss Fabian, Glavmo Magnus. Local Air-Fuel Ratio Measurements Using the Spark Plug as an Ionization Sensor. SAE 970856, 1997.
- Reinman Raymond, Linna Jan-Roger, Malberg Henrik. Bulk Gas Composition and Fuel Influence on Ion Current Signals Measured in an SI Engine.
- Saitzkoff Anndre, Reinmann Raymond, Berglind Thomas. An Ionization Equilibrium Analysis of the Spark Plug as an Ionization Sensor. SAE 960337, 1996.
- Saitzkoff Andre, Reinmann Raymond, Mauss Fabian. In-Cylinder Pressure Measurements Using the Spark Plug as an Ionization Sensor. SAE, 1997.
- Hajireza Shahrokh, Sunden Bengt and Mauss Fabian. A Three-Zone Model for Investigation of Gas Behaviour in the Combustion Chamber of SI Engines in Relation to Knock. SAE 1999-01-0219.
- Naoumov V.I., Dregalin A.F., Zenukov I.A., Kriukov V.G., Mathematical Modeling of High-Temperature Processes in Power Plants, Kazan State University, 1985.
- Naoumov V.I., Alemasov V.Y., Kriukov, Dregalin A.F. «Simulation of High- Temperature Processes in Power Generation Systems», Nauka, Moscow, 1989
- Naoumov V.I., Kriukov V.G., Abdullin A.L., Demin A.V., Trinos T.V. Combustion and Flow in Propulsion and Power Generation Systems», Yanus, Moscow, 1997.
- AlemasovV.E., DregalinA.F., TishinA.P.. Theory of Rocket Engines. Moscow, Mashinostroenie, 1969.
- The Theory of Heat- Mass Transfer. Edited by Leontiev A.I.. Moscow, Vischaia Shkola, 1979.
- Ivanov A.A., Soboleva T.K.. Non - equilibrium plasmochemistry. M., Atomizdat, 1978.
- Mitchel M., Kruger Charles H., Jr. Partially Ionized Gases. A Wiley - Intrscience Publication. John Wiley & Sons. 1973.
- Lawton James, Weinberg Felix J.. Electrical Aspects of combustion. Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1969.
- Ionization in High-Temperature Gases. Editor - Shuler Kurt E. Academic Press. New York, London, 1963.
- Calcote H.F.. Ion production and recombination in flames. 8-th Simposium on Combustion, 1962.
- Calcote H.F. . Ion and Electron Profiles in Flames. 9-th Simposium on Combustion. .
- Fialkov A.B.. Investigations on Ions in Flames. Prog. Energy, Combust. Sci. Vol. 23.
- Eriksson L., Nielsen L. and Nytomt J.. Ignition control by ionization current interpretation. SAE SP-1149, (SAE paper No. 960045):73-79, 1996.