This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Assessment of Flow Characteristics and Energy Levels from a Gaseous Fuel Injector using Hydrogen and Natural Gas
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 2001 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2001
Fuel induction techniques have been found to be playing a very sensitive role in the operation of a gas-fueled engine. This paper describes the experimental evaluation of an electronic injector for operating a spark ignition (SI) engine using clean-burning alternative fuels such as compressed natural gas and hydrogen. Test data have also been generated with a blend of the two fuels (hydrogen and CNG) in various proportions to determine the flow characteristics of the blend for engine operation.
Results show that the electronic injectors for gaseous fuel operation can be conveniently adapted to existing engines. A precise and accurate control of flow was achieved at pressure levels of 3.44 bar and 9.31 bar (absolute pressure).
CitationHeffel, J., Das, L., Park, C., and Norbeck, J., "An Assessment of Flow Characteristics and Energy Levels from a Gaseous Fuel Injector using Hydrogen and Natural Gas," SAE Technical Paper 2001-28-0031, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-28-0031.
- Genslak Stanley L “Evaluation of Gaseous Fuels for Automobiles” SAE Paper No. 720125 1972
- Norbeck, J.M. Heffel, J.W. Belinski, S.E. Durbin, T. Bowden, J.P. Tabbara, B. Montano, M. 1996 Hydrogen Fuel for Surface Transportation Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Das L.M. “Fuel Induction Technique for a Hydrogen Operated Engine” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 15 11 1990
- Das L.M. Gulati Rohit Gupta Pankaj Kumar “A Comparative Evaluation of the Performance Characteristics of Spark Ignition Engine using Hydrogen and Compressed Natural Gas as Alternative Fuels” Intrnl. J. Hydrogen Energy 25 8 2000
- Heffel James W McClanahan M. Norbeck Joseph “Electronic Fuel Injection for Hydrogen Fueled Internal Combustion Engines” SAE Paper No. 981924 1998