This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Single Cylinder Engine Study of Power, Fuel Consumption and Exhaust Emissions with Ethanol
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 2001 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2001
In this study experiments were carried out to evaluate performance and exhaust emissions of carbon monoxide (CO) and hydrocarbons (HC) with ethanol-gasoline blends (15E and 85E) and gasoline in a single cylinder, 4-/changing parameters like engine speed, compression ratio, air-fuel ratio and ignition timing were studied in relation to engine performance and exhaust emissions. Effect of intake air temperature on engine performance was also studied. It was found that higher power output and improved energy efficiency were possible with ethanol gasoline blends as compared to gasoline at similar air-fuel ratios. At higher compression ratios engine performance was further improved with ethanol gasoline blends. An extended lean limit was observed which was favorable to obtain lower exhaust emissions.
CitationMaji, S., Babu, M., and Gupta, N., "A Single Cylinder Engine Study of Power, Fuel Consumption and Exhaust Emissions with Ethanol," SAE Technical Paper 2001-28-0029, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-28-0029.
- Hodgson, J.W. Irick, D.K. Whaler, M.V. “Improving the Cold Start Performance of Alcohol Fuelled Engines using a Rich Combustor Device” SAE Paper- 981359 (SP-1365) 1998
- Bolt, J.A.C. “A Survey of Alcohol as a Motor Fuel” SAE SP-254
- Alternate Fuel Committee of the Engine Manufacturer's Association “A Technical Assessment of Alcohol Fuels” SAE (Trans.) Paper No. - 820261 1982
- Branco, G.M. “The use of Ethanol/Methanol/Gasoline Blends as Alternative Motor Fuels in Brazil” U.S. EPA Alternative Fuels Research Strategy Workshop Durham, North Carolina, Sao Paulo, Brazil Dec. 1989
- Brinkman, N.D. et al. “Exhaust Emissions, Fuel Economy and Drivability of Vehicles Fuelled with Alcohol Gasoline Blends” SAE Paper No.-750210
- Radwan, M.S. “Performance and Knock Limits of Ethanol Gasoline Blends in Spark Ignition Engines” SAE Paper No.- 850213 1985
- Sriram, S. Popuri, S. Bata, R.M. “A Performance Study of Iso-Butanol, Methanol and Ethanol-Gasoline Blends using Single Cylinder Engine” SAE Paper No.- 932953 1993
- Brinkman, N.D. “Ethanol Fuel - A Single Cylinder Engine Study of Efficiency and Echaust Emissions” SAE (Trans.) Paper No.- 810345
- Bata, R.M. Roan, V.P. “Effects of Ethanol and/or Methanol in Alcohol-Gasoline Blends on Exhaust Emissions” Trans of ASME 432 III July 1989
- Jagadeesan, T.R. “On the Operation of Multi Cylinder Automotive SI Engines with Ethanol as a Neat Fuel” Proc. National Conference on IC Engines and Combustion Nov. 19-22 Dehradun, India
- Black Frank “An Overview of Technical Implications of Methanol and Ethanol as Highway Motor Vehicle Fuels” SAE (Trans.) Paper No.- 912413 1991
- Bata, R.M. Elrod, A.C Rice, R.W. “Emissions from IC Engines Fuelled with Alcohol-Gasoline Blends; A Literature Review” Trans. of ASME 424 III July 1989
- Bolt, J.A. Holkeboer, D.H. “Lean Fuel Ait Mixture for High Compression Spark Ignition Engines” SAE (Trans.) 70 195 1962
- Jackson, W.M. et. al. “The Influence of Ait-Fuel Ration, Spark Timing and Combustion Chamber Deposits on Exhaust Hydrocarbon Emissions” SAE Paper No.-486A in Vehicle Emissions TP-6 SAE 1962
- Gupta, C.P. “Some Comments on Present Status and Future Requirements of Combustion Engine Research” Proc. National Conference on IC Engines and Combustion Nov. 19-22 Dehradun, India
- Gurney, M.D. Allsup, J.R. Merlotti, C.L. “Gasohol:Laboratory and Fleet Test Evaluation” SAE Paper No.- 800892 1980