This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modelling of Combustion In a Gas Turbine Combustion System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 2001 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2001
The main aim of this work is to carry out a 3D flow field analysis of an annular gas turbine combustor using finite volume method. The numerical calculations are performed using Semi Implicit Method for Pressure Linked Equations (SIMPLE) algorithm with unstructured grid arrangement. The turbulence models tried are k-ε (RNG) and k-ε (REALIZABLE) model. Two-phase calculations are performed using liquid droplet spray combustion model. The trajectory computation of the fuel provides the source terms for all the gas phase equation. The fuel used is JET-AG, and the combustion chamber is annular. The distribution of velocity field and distribution of temperature field are predicted for the combustor under consideration. From the temperature distribution it is possible to calculate the radial and circumferential pattern factors. It is found that the present prediction procedure is capable of handling complex flow and combustion quite satisfactorily.
- V Balasubramaniam - Internal Combustion Engines Laboratory, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai 600 036, INDIA
- V Ganesan - Internal Combustion Engines Laboratory, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai 600 036, INDIA
CitationBalasubramaniam, V. and Ganesan, V., "Modelling of Combustion In a Gas Turbine Combustion System," SAE Technical Paper 2001-28-0027, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-28-0027.
- Lai, M.K (1997) CFD analysis of liquid spray combustion in a gas turbine combustor, ASME paper 97-GT-309
- Crocker, D.S, Nickolaus, D., and simith, C.E (1999), CFD modeling of gas turbine combustor from compressor exit to turbine inlet, J. Engr. For Gas Turbine and Power
- Anand, M.S., Zhu, J., Connor,C., and Razdan, M.K (1999), Combustor Flow analysis Using an Advanced Finite-Volume Design system, ASME, 99-GT-273.
- Simljanovski, V. and Brem, N. (1999), CFD Liquid Spray Combustion Analysis of a Single Annular Gas Turbine Combustors, ASME, 99-GT-300.
- Liley, D.G. (1985), Swirling Flows in Typical Combustor Geometries Paper No. AIAA-85-0184.
- Menon, S., Stone, C., Sankaran, V., and Sekar, B (2000), Large - eddy simulations of combustion in gas turbine combustors, 38th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, AIAA 00-0960.
- Lawson, R.J (1993), Computational Modeling of an Aircraft Engine Combustor to Achive Target Exit Temperature Profiles, ASME Paper 93-GT-164.
- McGuirk, J.J. and spencer, A. (1995), Computational Methods for Modeling port Flows in Gas Turbine Combustors ASME Paper 95-GT-414.
- Crocker, D.S., Smith, C.E., and Myers, G.D. (1994), Pattern factor Reduction in a reverse flow Gas Turbine Combustor Using angled Dilution Jets, ASME Paper 94-GT-406.
- Nikjooy, M., Mongia, H.C., McDonell, V.G and Samuelsen, G.S (1993), Fuel Injector-Air Swirl Characterization Aerothermal modeling: Phase II Final Report, NASA CR-189193
- Rizk, N.K., Chin, J.S., and Razdan, M.K. (1997), Modeling of gas turbine fuel nozzle spray, ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and power, 119, 34-44.
- Tolpadi, A.K,(1995) Calculation of Two-Phase Flow in Gas Turbine Combustors, ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 117, 695-703.
- Ganesan. V., and Spalding. D.B., (1979) Numerical Modeling of the Combustion of Fuel Sprays in Three-Dimensional Can Combustors, Proc,4th Int'l Symp. On Air-Breathing Engines, pp. 177-186
- Shyy, W., Correa, S. M., and Braaten, M.E., (1988), Computational Flow in a Gas Turbine Combustor, Combust. Sci. and Tech., Vol 58 pp 97-117.
- Tolpadi, A.K., Burrus, D.L and Lawson, R.J.,(1995) Numerical Computation and Validation of Two-Phase Flow Downstream of a Gas Turbine Combustor Dome Swirl Cup ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power vol. 117 pp 704-712.
- Shyy.W., (1985), A Numerical Study of Annular Dump Diffuser Flows Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol 53, pp. 47-65.
- Fuller, E.J. and Smith, C.E (1993), Integrated CFD Modeling of Gas Turbine Combustors, AIAA Paper 93-2196.
- Launder.B.E and Spalding.D.B, The Numerical Computation of Turbulent Flows, Computational Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol.3, 1974, pp.269-289
- Magnussen,B.F., and Hjertagger, B.H., (1976), On Mathematical Modelling of Turbulent Combustion with Special Emphasis on Soot Formation and Combustion, 16th Symp. (Int.) on Combustion, The Combustion Instt., Cambridge, mass, 719-725.