This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Theoretical and Experimental Investigation of Metering Characteristics of a Variable Venturi Mechanically Controlled Carburettor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 2001 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2001
The objective of the present work is to develop a mathematical model for predicting the metering characteristics of a variable venturi mechanically controlled two wheeler carburettors. Further the effect of carburettor operating parameters (viz. pilot jet size and main jet size) influencing the metering characteristics has also been studied.
The model is developed taking into account the type of venturi (circular or oval), jet needle restriction and needle jet projection inside the venturi. The compressible flow analysis gives the mass flow rate and the intake manifold vacuum, which acts as a driving force for the flow to take place. Based on the mass and energy conservation, the fuel flow rate through the pilot and main system is determined.
Experiments have been carried out to compare the predicted results with measurements so as to validate the model. The experiments were carried out at constant speed mode on a chassis dynamometer. Partial spacer rings were used to hold the throttle at required percentage throttle opening. The experiments were performed for a specific carburettor-engine combination.
CitationJagdish, D., Govindarajan, S., Balasubramaniam, V., and Ganesan, V., "Theoretical and Experimental Investigation of Metering Characteristics of a Variable Venturi Mechanically Controlled Carburettor," SAE Technical Paper 2001-28-0015, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-28-0015.
- Harrington D.L. Bolt J.A. Analysis And Digital simulation Of Carburetor Metering SAE 700082
- Furayama, Mikio Fuel supply characteristics of idle system of carburetor under steady state condition Bulletin of JSME 21 154 722 729 1978
- Asano Yasuki, Chuma T. Haga H. Mochida T. 1968 Effects of air bleed systems on carburetor performance Bulletin of JSME 11 46 691 698
- Taylor, Charles Fayette The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and practice The MIT Press 1984 2
- Fischer, C.H. Carburetion 1 & 2 Chapman & Hall Ltd. 1963
- Benson, R.S. Baruah P.C. Sierens R. 1974 Steady and non-steady flow in a simple carburetor
- Bajema, D.L. Gatecliff G.W. 1978 Prediction and measurement of fluid flow in single cylinder engine carburetors
- Fujieda. M. Ohayama Y. Ooshuga M. Nogi T. 1988 Analysis of the intake manifold fuel transport of gasoline engines with combined carburetor
- Lingiah Naidu. M. Mohanakrishna D. Ganesan V. Keshavamurthy B.G. 1993 Carburetor simulation for RPV application Journal of Aero-Soc. Of India
- Srinivasan B. Mohanakrishna D. Govindarajan S. Govinda Mallan K.R. Ganesan V. Theoretical and experimental investigation of carburetor metering XXII Nat. Conf. on Fluid mechanics & Fluid power. IITM 1995