This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Validation of FE Models Using Experimental Modal Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 10, 2001 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2001
The dynamic properties of the structure plays an important role in deciding the NVH behaviour of the structure. Finite element methods become the most handy tool to study and find out the right solution for the NVH control. The validity of the finite element model for a particular structure is a very important step in the solution process. The experimental modal analysis is an important technique to correlate the finite element model by evaluating the dynamics of the structure. The modal properties i.e. natural frequencies, and mode shapes are the parameters used for correlating the finite element results.
The present paper explains the case studies carried out for the experimental validation of the finite element model of a rectangular plate and oilpan. The results show quite good correlation of finite element model and experimental model, which is very useful for structural modification to solve the critical noise control problems or for designing less noisy products with minimum iterations.
CitationJambovane, S., Kalsule, D., and Athavale, S., "Validation of FE Models Using Experimental Modal Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2001-26-0042, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-26-0042.
- Dynamic Design Solutions “Advanced solutions for FE Model Validation and Updating”, FEM TOOLS White Paper, Dynamic Design Solutions, September 1998.
- Dascotte, E. and Strobbe, J., “Updating Finite Element Models using FRF Correlation Functions”, BRITE/EURAM Technical Report, Dynamic Design Solutions, September 1998.
- Donley, M. and Stokes, W., “The use of Pre-test Analysis Procedures for FE Model/Test Correlation of a Transmission Side Cover”, International conference on Noise and Vibration 97 NV183, 1997.
- Donley, M., et al., “Validation of Finite Element Models for Noise/Vibration/Harshness Simulation”, Sound and Vibration Magazine, August 1996.
- Friswell, M. I. and Mottershead, J. E., “Finite Element Model Updating in Structural Dynamics”, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht/Boston/London, 1995.
- SDRC I-DEAS 7.0 Online Manual.