This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Correlation of Measurements of a New Long Optical Path Length Particle Sensor against Gravimetric and Electrical Mobility based Particle Measurements in Diesel Exhaust
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 23, 2001 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
A prototype multiwavelength sensor able to characterise soot emissions in Diesel exhaust in terms of size and concentration has been tested against other methods for diesel particle measurements like electrical mobility sizing (SMPS) and raw exhaust gravimetric sampling (RES). Measurements carried out with the prototype sensor were correlated with the SMPS by assuming spherical and/or fractal aggregate morphology of the particles. Correlation of RES gravimetric data against the sensor and the SMPS led to the calculation of the solid density for soot particles to be 2.3 gr/cm3.
CitationNikitidis, M., Konstandopoulos, A., Zahoransky, R., and Laile, E., "Correlation of Measurements of a New Long Optical Path Length Particle Sensor against Gravimetric and Electrical Mobility based Particle Measurements in Diesel Exhaust," SAE Technical Paper 2001-24-0073, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-24-0073.
- Walsh, M “Global Trends in Diesel Emissions Control – A 1998 Update” SAE PAPER 980186
- Dockery et al. “An Association between Air Pollution and Mortality in Six U.S. Cities” The New England Journal of Medicine 1993
- Katsouyanni Touloumi Spix, Schwartz Balducci, Medina Rossi, Wojtyniak Sunyar Bacharova Schouten Ponka Anderson “Short Term Effects of Ambient Sulphur Dioxide and Particulate Matter on Mortality in 12 European Cities: Results from Time Series Data from the APHEA Project” British Medical Journey 1997
- Lu, J.H. Lee, H.R. Liou, C.C. Szu, C.T. “Diesel Engine Smoke Measurements in the Rapid Acceleration Test” SAE PAPER 980411
- Okrent, D.A “Description of an On-Line Method for Measuring the Ratio of Soot to Organics in Diesel Exhaust Particulates” SAE PAPER 960252
- Ahlvik, P. Ntziachristos, L. Keskinen, J. Virtanen, A. “Real Time Measurements of Diesel Particle Size Distribution with an Electrical Low Pressure Impactor” SAE PAPER 980410
- TSI Incorporated St Paul MN USA
- Pfeifer U. Zarske S. Samenfink W. Dittmann R. Laile E. Zahoransky R.A. Optisches Multiwellenlängen-Extinktionsverfahren - angewandt zur on-line Messung der Größe und Volumenkonzentration von Partikeln im Abgas von Dieselmotoren; In VDI Bericht 1189 1995
- Zahoransky R.A. Kuhnt W. Laile E. ”In-line Particle Measurements of the Undiluted Exhaust of Combustion Engines by Multi-Wavelength ExtinctionTechnique” J. Aerosol Sci 28 Suppl. 1 1997
- Nikitidis M.S. Manikas T. Zarvalis D. Divinis N. Altiparmakis C. Konstandopoulos A.G. “Collection efficiency of various filter media in Diesel Exhaust” Submitted to the 5th International Conference of Internal Combustion Engine Capri Sep. 23–27 2001
- Julien R. Botet R. Aggregation and fractal aggregates 1987
- Köylü Ö.Ü. Faeth G.M. “Optical properties of overfire soot in buoyant turbulent diffusion flames at long residence times” Transactions of the ASME: J. Heat Transfer 116 152 159 1994
- De Iuliis S. Barbini S. Benecchi S. Cignoli F. Zizak G. “Determination of the soot volume fraction in an ethylene diffusion flame in multiwavelength analysis of soot radiation” Combustion and Flame 115 253 261 1998
- Konstandopoulos, A.G. Gratz, L.D. Johnson, J.H. Bagley, S.T. Leddy, D.G. “Ceramic Particulate Traps for Diesel Emissions Control-Effects of a Manganese-Copper Fuel Additive” SAE Trans. 97 sec. 6 (J. Engines) Paper No. 880009 37 53 1988