This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Droplets Size and Velocity in a GDI Spray by PDA and Laser Light Extinction Techniques
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 23, 2001 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
In this paper, tests on a GDI spray emerging from an electronically controlled swirled-type injector, have been carried out at two injection pressures, 7.0 and 9.0 MPa respectively, under atmospheric pressure and ambient temperature in an optically accessible chamber. The injector, having two swirled fuel adduction ducts and a nozzle diameter of 0.55 mm, produces a hollow-cone type spray with a nominal cone-angle of 80°. A gasoline-like non-volatile calibration fluid in non-evaporative conditions, EXXSOL D40 (ρ =762 kg/m3, ν=1.05 cSt at T=40°C) has been used.
A single channel phase Doppler analyser (PDA) has been used to acquire time resolved droplets size and velocity at different locations within the spray along and off-axis. The system has allowed the reconstruction of the size and velocity data along the injection timing with a time resolution of 100 μs. Time resolved size and axial and radial velocity components have been measured at different locations within the spray. The cycle-resolved data, buffered in a PC via a DMA interface, have been analyzed off-line by the ensemble averaging procedure.
The main results of the investigation have provided a velocity distribution representative of a hollow-cone structure in the first stage of the injection, followed by a droplets refilling process of the central region at later time. A small scale droplets recirculation, close to the nozzle tip, has been evidenced. Decreasing values of D10 have been found during the initial non-stationary injection phase, followed by a flat profile with diameters ranging from 2 to 5 μm.
Estimation of the atomization degree in the near nozzle region has been performed by the laser light extinction technique. The technique has also provided a measurement of the tip penetration and nozzle discharge coefficient in the region up to 5 mm from the nozzle. An higher light extinction degree, at increasing injection pressure, has been found at the nozzle exit both along the spray axis and at different radial coordinates with no evidence of the breakup length.
|Technical Paper||Lean NOx Trap Aftertreatment Technology Impact on Engine Oil Dilution|
|Journal Article||Diesel Combustion Characteristics of Biodiesel with 1-Butanol|
|Technical Paper||Empirical Equations for the Sauter Mean Diameter of a Diesel Spray|
CitationS., A., L., A., F.E., C., G., V. et al., "Droplets Size and Velocity in a GDI Spray by PDA and Laser Light Extinction Techniques," SAE Technical Paper 2001-24-0047, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-24-0047.
- Stan C. Direct Injection Systems for Spark-Ignition and Compression-Ignition Engines SAE, Inc. Warrendale, PA
- Spiegel L. Spicher U. Mixture formation and combustion in a spark ignition engine with direct fuel injection SAE Paper 920521 1992
- Parrish S.E. Farrel P.V. Transient spray characteristics of a direct injection spark-ignited fuel injector SAE Paper 970629 1997
- Comer L.A. Bowen P.J. Sapsford S.M. Bates C.J. Critical Appraisal of Current Laser Diagnostics Techniques for G-DI Spray Kinematic Quantification Optical Diagnostics in Eng 5 (1) 2001 39 50
- Kume T. Iwamoto Y. Iida K. Muratami K. Akishino K. Ando H. Combustion control technologies for direct injection SI engine. SAE Paper 960600 1990
- Anderson R.W. Yang J. Brehob D.D. Vallance J.K. Whitehaker R.M. Understanding the thermodynamics of direct injection spark ignition (DISI) combustion system: an analytical and experimental investigation SAE Paper 962018 1996
- Corcione F.E. Alfuso S. Allocca L. Valentino G. Global Spray Characteristics and Droplet Size and Velocità Distribution in a Swirl-Type Injector for GDI Engines PARTEC 2001, Int.’l Congress for Particle Technology 27–29 March 2001 Nuremberg, Germany
- Allocca, L. Corcione: F.E. Measurement of Sauter Mean Diameter in a high Pressure Diesel Spray 11 th European Conference of ILASS-Europe – PARTEC 95 Nurnberg 1995 63 67
- Pitcher G. Winkhlofer E. Droplet Size and Velocity Measurements in the Spray of a Direct Injection Gasoline Injector ILASS-Europe ’98 Manchester 6–8 July 1998 352 357
- Comer M. O. Bowen P.J. Sapsford S.M. Johs R.J.R. The Transient Effects of Line Pressure for Pressure Swirl Gasoline Injectors ILASS-Europe ’98 Manchester 6–8 July 1998 364 370
- De Vita A. Di Angelo L. Allocca L. Alfuso S. Spray Characteristics of a High Pressure Injection for GDI Engines 9 th Int’l Symposium on Flow Visualization August 22–26 2000
- Alfuso S. Allocca L. Bella G. Rotondi R. A new spray sub-model for gasoline direct injection, numerical implementation and experimental validation ILASS Europe September 2000 Darmstadt, Germany
- Corcione F. E. Allocca L. Alfuso S. De Vita A. Di Angelo L. Optical Diagnostics of a High Pressure Swirl Spray Structure for DI Gasoline Engines – 5 th Int’l Congress “Engine Combustion Processes” ESSEN 13–14 March 2001
- De Vita A. Di Angelo L. Allocca L. Alfuso S. Transient Spray Characteristics of a GDI High Pressure Injector Seventh International Conference, Florence ATA 2001 May 23–25 2001
- di Stasio S. Valentino G. Corcione F.E. Bertoni F.L. Identification of a Common-Rail Diesel Jet Contour and Spray Droplet Velocity by Two Different Laser Techniques SAE Paper n° 2000-01-2861
- Pontoppidan M. Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. Direct fuel injection a study of injector requirements for different mixture preparation concepts SAE Paper 970628
- Pontoppidan M. Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V De Maio A. Experimental and Numerical Approach to Injection and Ignition Optimization of Lean GDI Combustion Behaviour SAE Paper 1999-01-0173
- Beer J.M. Chigier N.A. Combustion Aerodynamics R.E. Krieger Publishing Co. Malabar, Florida 1998
- Wigley G. Hargrave G.K. Heath J. A High Power High Resolution LDA/PDA System Applied to Dense Gasoline Direct Injection Sprays 9 th Int.’l Symposium on Application pf Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics Lisbon, Portugal July 1998
- Kamimoto, T. Yokota, H Kobayashi: H. A new Technique for the Measurement of Sauter Mean Diameter of Droplets in Unsteady Dense Spray SAE Paper 890319 1989
- Sauter J. Measurements of Fuel Particles in Fuel Sprays for Internal Combustion Engines Forsch. Geb. Ingenieurwesen 279 1926
- Lefebvre A.H. Atomization and sprays Taylor&Francis
- Rizk N.K. Lefebvre A.H. Internal Flow Characteristics of Simplex Swirl Atomizer AIAA. J. Propul Power 1 n°3 1985 193 199