This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optical Detection of Absolute NO and OH Concentration inside Diesel Combustion Chamber
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 23, 2001 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
Conventional methods for combustion gas concentration measurement are typically based on gas sampling, sample treatment and subsequent analysis. These procedures could affect the species concentrations in particular when temporal variations of process parameters are under study. Moreover, in these methods, the concentration measurements are usually performed at standard temperature and pressure. In order to overcome these limitations, in-situ and real-time concentration measurement techniques are needed.
In this paper, an in-situ technique with high spatial and temporal resolution, based on ultraviolet-visible absorption spectroscopy, was proposed. This technique allowed the simultaneous determination of NO and OH absolute concentrations inside optically accessible diesel combustion chamber. Temporal and spatial distribution of OH and NO was evaluated.
CitationCorcione, F., Merola, S., and Vaglieco., B., "Optical Detection of Absolute NO and OH Concentration inside Diesel Combustion Chamber," SAE Technical Paper 2001-24-0028, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-24-0028.
- Miller, J.A., Bowmann, C.T. - Mechanism and Modeling of Nitrogen Chemistry in Combustion - Prog. Energy Combust. Sci., 15, 287–338 (1985).
- Warnatz, J., Maas, U, Dibble, R.W. - Combustion - Springler Verlag, Berlin (1996).
- Voiculescu, I.A., Borman, G.L. - An Experimental Study of diesel Engine Cylinder Average NOx Histrories - SAE Transactions, 87 (sec. 1), 1001–1014, paper n°780228 (1978).
- Aoyagi, Y., Kamimoto, T., Matsui, Y., Matsuoka, S. - A Gas Sampling Study on the Formation Processes of Soot and NO in DI Diesel Engine - SAE Transaction, 89 (sec. 2), 1175–1189, paper n°800254 (1980).
- Alatas, B., Pinson, J.A., Litzinger, T.A., Santavicca, D.A. - A Study of NO and Soot Evolution in a DI Diesel Engine via Planar Imaging - SAE Transactions, 102 (sec. 3), 1463–1473 paper n°930973 (1993).
- Di Rosa, M.D., Klavuhn, K.G., Hanson, R.K. - LIF Spectroscopy of NO and O2 in High-Pressure Flames - Combust. Sci. and Tech., 118, 257–283 (1996).
- Dec, J.E., Cannan, R.E. - PLIF Imaging of NO Formation in a DI Diesel Engine - SAE, 79–105, paper n°980147 (1998).
- Versluis, M, Ebben, M, Drabbles, M., ter Muellen, J.J. - Frequency Calibration in the ArF Laser Tuning Range Using Laser Induced Fluorescence of NO - Applied Optics, 30, 5229–5234 (1991).
- Corcione F.E., Merola S.S., Vaglieco B.M -: Nanometric Particle Formation in Optically Accessible Diesel Engine. SAE Paper n°2001-01-1258 (2001).
- Borghese, A. and Merola, S.S. (1998) - Time Resolved Spectral and Spatial Description of Laser Induced Breakdown in Air as a Pulsed, Bright and Broadband Ultraviolet Visible Light Source - Applied Optics 37, p.3977–3983.
- Okabe, I. (1978) - Photochemistry of small molecules - Wiley-Interscience Publications, J. Wiley & Sons ed., New York.
- Goldman A. and Gillis J. R. – Spectral Line Parameters for the A2Σ-Χ2Π (0,0) Band of OH for Atmospheric and High Temperatures – J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transfer. 25, 111–135 (1981).
- Costa M. – Private communication (2001).
- Kerker M. - The Scattering of Light and Other Electromagnetic Radiation Academic Press, New York, 1969.
- Karcher, W. Spectral Atlas of Polycyclic Aromatic Compounds - Vol. 1 Karcher, W et al. ed., Kluwer Academic Publ. (1988)
- Astarita M., Corcione F.E., Vaglieco B.M., Valentino G. - Optical Diagnostics of Temporal and Spatial Evolution of a Reacting Diesel Fuel Jet. - Comb. Sci. Tech. 148: (1999) 1–16.
- Agarval A. and Assanis D. N. – Multi-Dimensional Modeling of Nitric Oxide Formation in Direct Injection Natural Gas Engines – 4th Int. Symposium COMODIA 98, 561–566 (1998).
- Heywood J. B. - Internal Combustion Engines Fundamental - McGraw Hill, New York, 1989.