This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Head Injury Mechanisms Using Neutral Density Technology and High-Speed Biplanar X-ray
Published November 01, 2001 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: STAPP Car Crash Conference
The principal focus of this study was the measurement of relative brain motion with respect to the skull using a high-speed, biplanar x-ray system and neutral density targets (NDTs). A suspension fixture was used for testing of inverted, perfused, human cadaver heads. Each specimen was subjected to multiple tests, either struck at rest using a 152-mm-diameter padded impactor face, or stopped against an angled surface from steady-state motion. The impacts were to the frontal and occipital regions. An array of multiple NDTs was implanted in a double-column scheme of 5 and 6 targets, with 10 mm between targets in each column and 80 mm between columns. These columns were implanted in the temporoparietal and occipitoparietal regions. The impacts produced peak resultant accelerations of 10 to 150 g, and peak angular accelerations between 1000 and 8000 rad/s2. For all but one test, the peak angular speeds ranged from 17 to 22 rad/s. The relative 3D displacements between the skull and the NDTs were analyzed. The localized motions of the brain generally followed loop or figure eight patterns, with peak displacements on the order of ± 5 mm. These results can be used to further finite-element modeling efforts.
- Warren N. Hardy - Wayne State University Bioengineering Center
- Craig D. Foster - Wayne State University Bioengineering Center
- Matthew J. Mason - Wayne State University Bioengineering Center
- King H. Yang - Wayne State University Bioengineering Center
- Albert I. King - Wayne State University Bioengineering Center
- Scott Tashman
CitationHardy, W., Foster, C., Mason, M., Yang, K. et al., "Investigation of Head Injury Mechanisms Using Neutral Density Technology and High-Speed Biplanar X-ray," SAE Technical Paper 2001-22-0016, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-22-0016.
- Al-Bsharat, A. S. Hardy, W. N. Yang, K. H. Khalil, T. B. King, A. I. Tashman, S 1999 Brain/skull relative displacement magnitude due to blunt head impact: New experimental data and model Proc. 43rd Stapp Car Crash Conference 321 332 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale PA
- Gosch, H. H. Gooding, E. Schneider, R. C. 1969 Distortion and displacement of the brain in experimental head injuries Surgical Forum 20 425 426
- Hardy, W. N. Foster C. D. King, A. I. Tashman S. 1997 Investigation of brain injury kinematics: Introduction of a new technique Crashworthiness, Occupant Protection and Biomechanics in Transportation Systems AMD 225 241 254
- Hodgson, V. R. Gurdjian, E. S. Thomas, L. M. 1966 Experimental skull deformation and brain displacement demonstrated by flash x-ray technique Journal of Neurosurgery 25 49 52
- Kallieris, D. Rizzetti, A. Mattern, R 1997 Some observations to the skull-brain trauma Proc. AGARD Conference 597 1 4 Advisory Group for Aerospace Research and Development Neuilly-Sur-Seine, FR.
- McGowan J. C. McCormack T. M. Grossman R. I. Mendonca R. Chen X. H. Berlin J. A. Meaney D. F. Xu B. N. Cecil K. M. McIntosh T. K. Smith D. H. 1999 Diffuse axonal pathology detected with magnetization transfer imaging following brain injury in the pig Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 41 (4) 727 733
- Nahum, A. Smith, R. Ward, C 1977 Intracranial pressure dynamics during head impact Proc. 21 st Stapp Car Crash Conference 337 366 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Nusholtz, G. S. Lux, P. Kaiker, P. S. Janicki, M. A. 1984 Head impact response - Skull deformation and angular accelerations Proc. 28 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 41 74 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Pudenz, R. H. Shelden, C. H. 1946 The Lucite calvarium - a method for direct observation of the brain. II. Cranial trauma and brain movement Journal of Neurosurgery 3 87 505
- Shatsky, S. A. 1973 Flash x-ray cinematography during impact injury Proc. 17 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 361 376 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Shatsky, S. A. Alter, W. A. III Evans, D. E. Armbruster, V. Clark, G 1976 Traumatic distortions of the primate head and chest: Correlation of biomechanical, radiological and pathological data Proc. 18 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 351 381 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Shelden, C. H. Pudenz, R. H. Restarski, J. S. Craig, W. M. 1944 The Lucite calvarium - a method for direct observation of the brain. I. The surgical and Lucite processing techniques Journal of Neurosurgery 1 67 75
- Stalnaker, R. L. Melvin, J. W. Nusholtz, G. S. Alem, N. M. Benson, J. B. 1977 Head impact response Proc. 21 st Stapp Car Crash Conference 303 335 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale PA
- Trosseille, X. Tarriere, C. Lavaste, F. Guillon F. Domont, A 1992 Development of a F.E.M. of the human head according to a specific test protocol Proc. 36 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 235 253 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA