This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development and Evaluation of a New Rear-Impact Crash Dummy: The RID2
Published November 01, 2001 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: STAPP Car Crash Conference
Low severity neck injuries due to vehicle accidents are a serious problem in our society. In 1997 the European Whiplash project started with the aim to develop passive safety methodologies to reduce the frequency of neck injuries in rear-end impacts. This project has resulted, among others, in a rear impact crash dummy, the so-called RID2. The objective of this paper is present the design of this dummy and to present its performance in comparison with human volunteer and post mortem human subject (PMHS) tests. Also a comparison is made with the Hybrid III dummy in similar test conditions.
In the comparison with human volunteers in a real car seat, both the RID2 and the Hybrid III showed realistic kinematics. Lower neck rotation as well as the typical S-shape in the neck were found in the RID2, but not in the Hybrid III dummy. Ramping up was not found in the Hybrid III, while the RID2 did show limited ramping up. The upper neck forces measured in both dummies were reasonably good in the regular car seat, but upper neck torques were not well predicted in either dummy. Compared to post mortem human subjects placed on a rigid seat without a head restraint, the Hybrid III was found to be less biofidelic than the RID2, as the kinematics of the human subjects were better approximated by the RID2 than by the Hybrid III, which was mainly attributed to the stiff spine and neck of the Hybrid III.
CitationCappon, H., Philippens, M., van Ratingen, M., and Wismans, J., "Development and Evaluation of a New Rear-Impact Crash Dummy: The RID2," SAE Technical Paper 2001-22-0010, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-22-0010.
- Bertholon, N. Robin, S. Le Coz, J.Y. Potier, P. Lassau, J.P. Skalli, W. 2000 Human Head and Cervical Spine Behaviour during Low-Speed Rear-End Impacts: PMHS Sled Tests with a Rigid Seat Proc. IRCOBI Conference 265 277
- Cappon, H. Philippens, M. Wismans, J. 2001 A new test method for the assessment of neck injuries in rear-end collisions Proc. 17 th ESV Conference 2001. Paper no 242
- Davidsson, J. Svensson, M.Y. Flogård, A. Håland, Y. Jakobsson, L. Linder A. Lövsund, P. Wiklund K. 1998 BioRID I – A New Biofidelic Rear Impact Dummy Proc. IRCOBI Conference 1998 377 390
- Davidsson, J. Flogård, A. Lövsund, P. Svensson, M. 1999a BioRID P3- Design and Performance compared to Hybrid III and Volunteers in Rear Impacts at ΔV=7 km/h Proc. 43rd Stapp Car Crash Conference 1999 253 265
- Davidsson, J. Lövsund, P. Ono, K. Svensson, M.Y. Inami, S. 1999b A Comparison between Volunteer, BioRID P3 and Hybrid III performance in Rear Impacts Proc. IRCOBI Conference 1999 165 178
- Koch, M.v Kullgren, A. Lie, A. Nygren, A. Tingvall, C. 1995 Soft Tissue Injury of the Cervical Spone in Rear-End and Frontal Car Collisions Proc. IRCOBI Conference 1995 273 283
- Kroonenberg, A. van den Philippens, M. Cappon, H. Wismans, J. Hell, W. Langwieder, K. 1998 Human Head-Neck Response During Low-Speed Rear End Impacts Proc. 42 nd STAPP Car Crash Conference. SAE Paper 983158
- Mertz, H.J. Patrick, L.M. 1967 Investigation of the Kinemematics and Kinetics of Whiplash Proc. 11 th STAPP Conference. SAE 670919
- Mertz, H.J. Patrick, L.M. 1971 Strength and Response of the Human Neck Proc. 15th STAPP Car Crash Conference 821 846 SAE paper 710855
- NHTSA 2001 R&D website http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/include/summaries/B0127.htm
- Ono, K. Kanno, M. 1993 Influences of the Physical Parameters on the Risk to Neck Injuries in Low Speed Rear-end Collisions Proc. IRCOBI Conference 1993 201 212
- Prasad, P. Kim, A. Weerappuli, D.P.V. 1997 Biofidelity of Anthropomorphic Test Devices for Rear Impact Proc. 41st STAPP Car Crash Conference 387 415 SAE paper 973342
- Schneider, L.W. 1983 Anthropometry of Motor Vehicle Occupants 1–3
- Scott, M.W. McConnell W.E. Guzman, H.M. Howard, R.P. Bomar, J.B. Smith, H.L. Benedict, J.M. Raddin, J.H. Hatsell, C.P. 1993 Comparison of Human and ATD Head Kinematics During Low-Speed Rearend Impacts Proc. 37th STAPP Car Crash Conference 1 8 SAE paper 930094
- Temming J. Zobel R. 1998 Frequency and risk of cervical spine distortion injuries in passenger car accidents: Significance of human factors data Proc. IRCOBI Conference 219 234
- Temming, J. Zobel, R. 2000 Neck distortion injuries in road traffic crashes (Analyses of the Volkswagen database) “Frontiers in Whiplash Trauma” Yoganandan IOS Press 118 133
- Thunnissen, J. Ratingen, M. van Beusenberg, M. Janssen, E. 1996 A dummy Neck for Low Severity Rear Impacts Proc. ESV Conference 1996. Paper 96-S10-O-12