This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Computer Model to Predict Aortic Rupture Due to Impact Loading
Published November 01, 2001 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: STAPP Car Crash Conference
Aortic injuries during blunt thoracic impacts can lead to life threatening hemorrhagic shock and potential exsanguination. Experimental approaches designed to study the mechanism of aortic rupture such as the testing of cadavers is not only expensive and time consuming, but has also been relatively unsuccessful. The objective of this study was to develop a computer model and to use it to predict modes of loading that are most likely to produce aortic ruptures. Previously, a 3D finite element model of the human thorax was developed and validated against data obtained from lateral pendulum tests. The model included a detailed description of the heart, lungs, rib cage, sternum, spine, diaphragm, major blood vessels and intercostal muscles. However, the aorta was modeled as a hollow tube using shell elements with no fluid within, and its material properties were assumed to be linear and isotropic. In this study fluid elements representing blood have been incorporated into the model in order to simulate pressure changes inside the aorta due to impact. The current model was globally validated against experimental data published in the literature for both frontal and lateral pendulum impact tests. Simulations of the validated model for thoracic impacts from a number of directions indicate that the ligamentum arteriosum, subclavian artery, parietal pleura and pressure changes within the aorta are factors that could influence aortic rupture. The model suggests that a right-sided impact to the chest is potentially more hazardous with respect to aortic rupture than any other impact direction simulated in this study. The aortic isthmus was the most likely site of aortic rupture regardless of impact direction. The reader is cautioned that this model could only be validated on a global scale. Validation of the kinematics and dynamics of the aorta at the local level could not be done due to a lack of experimental data. It is hoped that this model will be used to design experiments that can reproduce field relevant aortic ruptures in the laboratory. Only after such experiments have been run, can local validation be examined and the model judged to be acceptable or unacceptable.
- Chirag S. Shah - Bioengineering Center, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
- King H. Yang - Bioengineering Center, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
- Warren Hardy - Bioengineering Center, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
- H. Kevin Wang - Bioengineering Center, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
- Albert I. King - Bioengineering Center, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
CitationShah, C., Yang, K., Hardy, W., Wang, H. et al., "Development of a Computer Model to Predict Aortic Rupture Due to Impact Loading," SAE Technical Paper 2001-22-0007, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-22-0007.
- Augenstein, J.S. Perdeck, E. Williamson, J. Stratton, J. Murtha, M. Sapnas, K. Digges, K. Malliaris, A.C. Lombardo, L 1997 Heart injuries among restrained occupants in frontal crashes Proc. 41 st Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 970392 169 175
- Ben-Menachem, Y. 1993 Rupture of the thoracic aorta by broadside impacts in road traffic and other collisions: further angiographic observations and preliminary autopsy findings Journal of Trauma 35 3 363 367
- Cammack, K. Rapport, R.L. Paul, J. Baird, W.C. 1959 Deceleration injuries of the Thoracic Aorta A.M.A. Archives of Surgery 79 244 251
- Carson, M.W. Roach, M.R. 1990 The strength of the aortic media and its role in the propagation of aortic dissection Journal of Biomechanics 22 6 579 588
- Cavanaugh, J.M. Walilko, T.J. Malhotra, Y. Zhu, Y King, A.I. 1990 Biomechanical Response and Injury Tolerance of the Thorax in Twelve Sled Side Impacts 34 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 23 38 SAE Paper No. 902307 .
- Cavanaugh, J.M. Zhu, Y. Huang, Y King, A.I. 1993 Injury and Response of the Thorax in Side Impact Cadaveric Tests 37 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 199 221 SAE Paper No. 933127 .
- Chen, P.H. 1978 Finite Element Dynamic Structural Model of the Human Thorax for Chest Impact Response and Injury Studies Aviation Space and Enviromental Medicine 49 1 143 149
- Chuong, C.J. Fung, Y.C. 1986 Residual stress in arteries Frontiers in Biomechanics 117 129 Springer-Verlag New York
- Coermann, R. Dotzauer, G. Lange, W. Voigt, G.E. 1972 The effects of the design of the steering assembly and the instrument panel on injuries (especially aortic rupture) sustained by car drivers in head-on collision Journal of Trauma 12 8 715 724
- Crass, J.R. Cohen, A.M. Motta, A.O. Tomashefski, J.F. Jr. Wiesen, E.J. 1990 A proposed new mechanism of traumatic aortic rupture: the osseous pinch Radiology 176 3 645 649
- Dischinger, P.C. Cowley, R.A. Shanker, B.S. Smialek, J.E. 1988 The incidence of ruptured aorta among vehicular fatalities Proc. 32 nd Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine Conference 15 23
- Eppinger, R.H. 1989 On the Development of a Deformation Measurement System and Its Application Toward Developing Mechanically Based Injury Indices Proc. 33 rd Stapp Car Crash Conference 21 28 SAE Paper No. 892426 .
- Fung, Y.C. 1993 Biomechanics: Mechanical Properties of Living Tissue Sec. Ed. Springer-Verlag New York
- Gardner, E. Gray, D.J. O’Rahilly, R 1960 Anatomy W.B. Saunders Co. Philadelphia, PA
- Greendyke, R.M. 1966 Traumatic rupture of the aorta. Special reference to automobile accidents Journal of American Medical Association 195 7 119 122
- Hallquist, J.O. 1998 LS-DYNA Theoretical Manual Livermore Software Technology Corp. CA
- Hanson, P.G. 1967 Cardiac displacement and thoracic vascular injury resulting from abrupt deceleration of dogs Aerospce Medicine 38 1259 1263
- Hass, G.M. 1944 Types of internal injuries of personnel involved in aircraft accidents Journal of Aviation Medicine 15 77 84
- Hossack, D.W. 1980 Rupture of the aorta in road crash victims Aust. NZ J. Surg. 50 2 136 137
- Hunt, J.P. Baker, C.C. Lentz, C.W. Rutledge, R.R. Oller, D.W. Flowe, K.M. Nayduch, D.A. Smith, C. Clancy, T.V. Thomason, M.H. Meredith, J.W. 1996 Thoracic aorta injuries: Management and outcome of 144 patients Journal of Trauma 40 4 547 556
- Jackson, F. Berkas, E.M. Roberts, V.L. 1967 Traumatic Aortic Rupture after Blunt Trauma Diseases of the Chest 53 5 577 583
- Kallieris, D. Stein, K.M. Mattern, R. Morgan, R Eppinger, R.H. 1994 The performance of Active and Passive Driver Restraint Systems in Simulated Frontal Collisions Proc. 38 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 165 175 SAE Paper No. 942216 .
- Kallieris, D. Rizzetti, A. Mattern, R. Morgan, R. Eppinger, R Keenan, L 1995 On the Synergism of the Driver Air Bag and the 3-Point Belt in Frontal Collisions Proc. 39 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 389 401 SAE Paper No. 952700 .
- Katyal, D. McLellan, B.A. Brenneman, F.D. Boulanger, B.R. Sharkey, P.W. Waddell, J.P. 1997 Lateral impact motor vehicle collisions: Significant cause of blunt traumatic rupture of the thoracic aorta Journal of Trauma 42 5 769 772
- Kirsh, M. Bosio, A.C. Nusholtz, G.S. Kaiker, P.S. 1985 Thoracic response to frontal impact Proc. 29 th Stapp Car Crash Conference. SAE Paper No. 851721
- Kirshner, R. Seltzer, S. D’Orsi, C. DeWeese, J.A. 1983 Upper rib fractures and mediastinal widening: indications for aortography Annals of Thoracic Surgery 35 4 450 454
- Klotz, O. Simpson, W. 1932 Spontaneous Rupture of the Aorta American Journal of Medical Science 184 455 473
- Kroell, C.K. Schneider, D.C. Nahum, A.M. 1971 Impact Tolerance and Response of the Human Thorax Proc. 15 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 84 134
- Kroell, C.K. Schneider, D.C. Nahum, A.M. 1974 Impact Tolerance and Response of the Human Thorax II Proc. 18 th Stapp Car Crash Conference. SAE Paper No. 741187
- Kroell, C.K. 1976 Thoracic response to blunt frontal loading The Human Thorax Anatomy: Injury and Biomechanics P-67 SAE, Inc. 49 78
- Lacquet, L.K. Kuijpers, P.J. Van Lent, D. Lissen, G.H. Sutherland, I. 1974 Traumatic rupture of the aorta isthmus after blunt chest trauma Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery 15 537 547
- Lansman, S.L. McCullough, J.N. Nguyen, K.H. Spielvogel, D. Klein, J.J. Galla, J.D. Ergin, M.A. Griepp, R.B. 1999 Subtypes of acute aortic dissection Annals of Thoracic Surgery 67 6 1975 1978
- Letterer, E 1924 Beitrage zur entstehung der aortenruptur an typischer stele Virch. Arch. Path. Anat. 253 534 544
- Lobdell, T.E. Kroell, C.K. Schneider, D.C. Hering, W.E. Nahum, A.M. 1973 Impact Response of the Human Thorax Human Impact Response Measurement and Simulation King W.F. Mertz, H.J. 201 245 Plenum Press London
- Lundevall, J 1964 The Mechanism of Traumatic Rupture of the Aorta Acta Path. Microbiol. Scand. 62 34 46
- Marshall, T.K. 1958 Traumatic dissecting aneurysms Journal of Clinical Pathology II 36 38
- Moffat, R.C. Roberts, V.L. Berkas, E.M. 1966 Blunt trauma to the thorax: development of pseudo-aneurysms in the dog Journal of Trauma 6 666 680
- Mohan, D Melvin, J 1982 Failure Properties of Passive Human Aortic Tissue I-Uniaxial Tension Tests Journal of Biomechanics 15 887 902
- Mohan, D Melvin, J 1983 Failure Properties of Passive Human Aortic Tissue II-Biaxial Tension Tests Journal of Biomechanics 16 31 44
- Nahum, A.M. Gadd, C.W. Schneider, D.C. Kroell, C.K. 1970 Deflection of the Human Thorax Under Sternal Impact. International Automobile Safety Conference Compendium, P-30 SAE Paper No. 700400
- Neathery, R.F. 1974 Analysis of Chest Impact Response Data and Scaled Performance Recommendations Proc. 18 th Stapp Car Crash Conference. SAE Paper No. 741188
- Newman, R.J. Rastogi, S. 1984 Rupture of the thoracic aorta and its relationship to road traffic accident characterists Injury 15 296 299
- Oppenheim, F. 1918 Gibt es eine spontanrupter der gesunden aorta und wie kommt sie zustande Münchener Medizinische Wochenschrift 65 1234 1237
- Parmley, L.F. Mattingly, T. Manion, W.C. Jahnke, E.J. Jr 1958 Nonpenetrating Traumatic Injury of the Aorta Circulation 17 1086 1101
- Plank, G.R. Eppinger, R.H. 1989 Computer Dynamic Response of the Human Thorax from a Finite Element Model 12 th ESV 665 672
- Plank, G.R. Eppinger, R.H. 1991 An Improved Finite Element Model of the Human Thorax 13 th ESV 902 907
- Rindfleisch, E 1893 Zur entstehung and heilung des aneurysma dissecans aortae Virch. Arch. Path. Anat. 131 374 378
- Roberts, V.L. Jackson, F.R. Berkas, E.M. 1966 Heart motion due to blunt trauma to the thorax Proc. 10 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 242 248 SAE Paper No. 660800 .
- Sevitt, S. 1977 The mechanisms of traumatic rupture of the thoracic aorta British Journal of Surgery 64 166 173
- Shatsky, S.A. 1973 Flash x-ray cinematography during impact injury Proc. 17 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 361 377 SAE Paper No. 730978 .
- Shatsky, S.A. Alter, W.A. III Evans, D.E. Armbrustmacher, V. Earle, K.M. Clark, G. 1974 Traumatic distortions of the primate head and chest: Correlation of bimechanical, radiological and pathological data Proc. 18 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 351 381 SAE Paper No. 741186 .
- Shennan, T 1929 Traumatic (false) aneurysm of the aorta J. Path. Bact. 32 795 798
- Smith, R.S. Chang, F.C. 1986 Traumatic Rupture of the Aorta: Still a lethal injury American Journal of Surgery 152 660 663
- Solomon, E.P. Phillips, G.A. 1987 Understanding Human Anatomy and Physiology Saunders Philadelphia
- Strassmann, G. 1947 Traumatic Rupture of the Aorta American Heart Journal 33 508 515
- Sturm, J.T. Luxenberg, M.G. Moudry, B.M. Perry, J.F. 1989 Does sternal fracture increase the risk for aortic rupture? Annals of Thoracic Surgery 48 697 698
- Sudaram, S.H. Feng, C.C. 1975 Finite Element Analysis of the Human Thorax Journal of Biomechanics 10 8 505 516
- Taylor, E.R. 1962 Thrombocytopenia following abrupt deceleration st ARL, AMD, AFSC, Holloman AFB New Mexico
- Tribble, C.G. Crosby, I.K. 1988 Traumatic Rupture of the Thoracic Aorta Southern Medical Journal 81 8 963 968
- Viano, D.C. Warner, C.Y. 1976 Thoracic impact response of live porcine subjects Proc. 20 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 733 765 SAE Paper No. 760823 .
- Viano, D.C. Kroell, C.K. Warner, C.Y. 1977 Comparative thoracic impact response of living and sacrificed porcine siblings Proc. 21 st Stapp Car Crash Conference 629 709 SAE Paper No. 770930 .
- Viano, D.C. 1978a Evaluation of Biomechanical Response and Potential Injury from Thoracic Impact Aviation Space and Environmental Medicine 49 1 125 135
- Viano, D.C. 1978b Thoracic Injury Potential Proc. 3 rd International Meeting Simulation and reconstruction of Impacts in Collisions 142 56 IRCOBIL Bron, France
- Viano, D.C. Warner, C.Y. Hoopes, K. Mortenson, C. White, R Artinian, C.G. 1978c Sensitivity of porcine thoracic responses and injuries to various frontal and a lateral site Proc. 22 nd Stapp Car Crash Conference 169 207 SAE Paper No. 780890 .
- Viano, D.C. 1983 Biomechanics of non-penetrating Aortic Trauma: A review Proc. 27 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 109 114 SAE Paper No. 831608 .
- Viano, D.C. 1987a Evaluation of the Benefit of Energy-Absorbing Material in Side Impact Protection: Part I Proc. 31 st Stapp Car Crash Conference. SAE Paper No. 872212
- Viano, D.C. 1987b Evaluation of the Benefit of Energy-Absorbing Material in Side Impact Protection: Part II Proc. 31 st Stapp Car Crash Conference. SAE Paper No. 872213
- Viano, D.C. 1989 Biomechanical Responses and Injuries in Blunt Lateral Impact Proc. 33 rd Stapp Car Crash Conference 113 142 SAE Paper No. 892432 .
- Voigt, G.E. Wilfert, K 1969 Mechanisms of injuries to unrestrained drivers in head-on collisions Proc. 13 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 295 313 SAE Paper No. 690811 .
- Wang, H-C. 1995 Development of a Side Impact Finite Element Human Thoracic Model PhD Dissertation Wayne State University Detroit, MI
- Yang, K.H. King, A.I. 1989 Development of a Finite Element Based Two Dimensional Human Surrogates 50 th Anniversary Symposium Proceedings 52 57 Wayne State University Detroit, MI
- Zehnder, M.A. 1960 Accident Mechanism and Accident Mechanics of the Aortic Rupture in the closed Thorax Trauma Thoraxchirurgie und Vasculaere Chirurgie 8 47 65