This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A STUDY OF THE UPPER LEG COMPONENT TESTS COMPARED WITH PEDESTRIAN DUMMY TESTS
Published June 04, 2001 by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in United States
Annotation ability available
The upper leg component test proposed by EEVC WG17 is one of the tools for the evaluation of upper leg injuries in pedestrian accidents. Meeting the injury criteria set by EEVC for the upper legform impact test is one of the biggest challenges we can find in the reports. This problem was studied in previous papers using simulation models or reconstruction of pedestrian accidents.
The POLAR pedestrian dummy was constructed by HONDA R&D and GESAC INC., and some crash tests were conducted with it. The object of this study is to compare EEVC WG17 upper legform impact test conditions for utility vehicles with the full dummy test results. To reconstruct the deformation resulting from tests using the POLAR, the impact energy for the EEVC upper legform impact test should be decreased. Even the upper limit of 700J is too high.
Accident data analysis shows that the pelvis is the body part injured by the bonnet leading edge of the utility vehicle. So the impact force should be mainly considered for the evaluation of the bonnet leading edge performance.
CitationOkamoto, Y., Akiyama, A., Okamoto, M., and Kikuchi, Y., "A STUDY OF THE UPPER LEG COMPONENT TESTS COMPARED WITH PEDESTRIAN DUMMY TESTS," SAE Technical Paper 2001-06-0235, 2001.
- Akiyama A. Yoshida S. Matsuhashi T. Moss S. Salloum M Ishikawa H. Konosu A. “Development of Human-Like Pedestrian Dummy” 1999
- Akiyama A. Yoshida S. Matsuhashi T. Moss S. Salloum M Ishikawa H. Konosu A. “Development of Simulation Model and Pedestrian Dummy” SAE paper No. 1999-01-0082 1999
- Akiyama A. Okamoto M. Rangaraian N. “Development and Application of The anew Pedestrian Dummy” th 2001
- Matsui Y. Ishikawa H. Sasaki A. “Validation of Pedestrian Upper Legform Impact Test –Reconstruction of Pedestrian Accidents –” th 1998
- Takahashi Y. Kikuchi Y. “Biofidelity of Test Devices and Validity of Injury Criteria for Evaluating Knee Injury to Pedestrians” th 2001
- Konosu A. Ishikawa H. Sasaki A. “A Study on Pedestrian Impact Test Procedure by Computer Simulation – The Upper Legform to Bonnet Leading Edge Test –” ESV paper No. 98-S10-W-19,16 th ESV 1998
- Cesari D Ramet M. “Pelvic Tolerance and Protection Criteria in Side Impact” SAE paper No. 930435 1993
- Tarriere C. Walfisch G. Fayon A. Rosey JP. Got C. Patel A. Delmus A. th 1979
- Viano DC. “Biomechanical Responses and Injuries in Blunt Lateral Impact” SAE paper No. 892432
- Zhu J.Y. Cavanaugh J.M. King A.I.
- Lawrence GJL. January 1998