PERFORMANCE OF THE PROTOTYPE WORLDSID DUMMY IN SIDE IMPACT CRASH TESTS
Published June 04, 2001 by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in United States
Annotation ability available
A new, highly biofidelic, advanced side impact crash test dummy is being designed within the international WorldSID project. This world-wide project was initiated with the aim of developing a new mid-size male dummy which, it is hoped, by responding to the needs of potential users around the globe, could be adopted universally for side impact crash testing and for future harmonised regulatory test procedures as defined by the International Harmonized Research Activities (IHRA).
The prototype WorldSID dummy has been subjected to a series of demanding car environment crash tests sponsored by the Department of Transport and Regional Services of Australia. This testing constitutes the first phase of a multinational programme to evaluate the dummy’s biofidelity along with its directional sensitivity and verification. Any necessary modifications will be made, following which a second, comprehensive and world-wide evaluation programme will be undertaken.
This paper presents and discusses the performance of the dummy as observed during the initial testing in Australia. This testing consisted of a mobile deformable barrier (MDB) test, two sled tests, a car-to-car test and verification testing. During the testing the dummy was equipped with a complete set of its purpose-designed instrumentation yielding a considerable quantity of data. Along with the dynamic responses, aspects such as the kinematics, positioning and handling of the dummy will be addressed.
CitationPage, M., "PERFORMANCE OF THE PROTOTYPE WORLDSID DUMMY IN SIDE IMPACT CRASH TESTS," SAE Technical Paper 2001-06-0191, 2001.
- ISO/TC22/SC12/WG5 N542, 36th Meeting, November 5–6 1997, Orlando, Resolution 1
- ISO/TR 9790: 1999(E), Road Vehicles – Anthropomorphic side impact dummy – Lateral impact response requirements to assess the biofidelity of the dummy
- Robbins, D. H., Anthropometric Specifications for Mid-Sized Male Dummy, Final report, contract DTNH22-80-C-07502, U. S. Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, December 1983
- Moss, S., Wang, Z., Salloum, M., Reed, M., van Ratingen, M., Cesari, D., Scherer, R., Uchimura, T., Beusenberg, M., Anthropometry for WorldSID, A World-Harmonized Midsize Male Side Impact Crash Dummy, SAE paper no. 2000-01-2202; June 19–21, 2000 Government/Industry Meeting; Washington D.C.; June 2000.
- Rouhana, S. W., Elhagediab, A. M., Chapp, J. J., A High Speed Sensor for Measuring Chest Deflection in Crash Test Dummies, Proceedings of the 16th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, 31st May – 4th June 1998, Windsor, Canada