This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
PERFORMANCE CRITERIA, DESIGN AND CRASH TESTS OF EFFECTIVE REAR UNDERRIDE BARRIERS FOR HEAVY VEHICLES
Published June 04, 2001 by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in United States
Annotation ability available
During the 1990s a series of projects carried out at Monash University, together with reference to studies in Europe, USA and Brazil, have led to the development of recommendations for performance criteria for rear underride (or underride) barriers for heavy vehicles over 3.5 tonne. The work focussed on the development and crash testing of high capacity, yet practical, rigid and energy absorbing systems catering for both centred as well as offset impacts. The limitations of current international regulations are discussed, and recommendations for improved performance criteria to achieve effective rear underride barriers are presented.
CitationRechnitzer, G., Powell, C., and Seyer, K., "PERFORMANCE CRITERIA, DESIGN AND CRASH TESTS OF EFFECTIVE REAR UNDERRIDE BARRIERS FOR HEAVY VEHICLES," SAE Technical Paper 2001-06-0189, 2001.
- Deleys NJ. Ryder MO. 1971
- Moffat CA Wong J. 1980 Improved underride protection in moderate speed crashes Proceedings AAAM Oct 7–9 1980
- Langwieder, K. Danner, M. 1987 Priorities In The Active And Passive Safety Of Trucks Eleventh ESV Washington May 1987
- Rechnitzer, G. Wai Foong Chee 1991 ’Truck Involved Crash Study: Fatal and Injury Crashes of Cars into the Rear of Trucks’
- Bloch B Schmutzler L. O May 31–June 4, 1998
- Murray, N.W. 1988 A Study of Car-Truck Impacts and the Feasibility of Fitting Energy- Absorbing Guards to Heavy Trucks Dept. of Civil Engineering, Monash University 1988
- Rechnitzer, G. 1993 ’Truck Involved Crash Study: Fatal and Injury Crashes of Cars into the Front and Sides of Heavy Vehicles’
- Rechnitzer, G. Scott G. Murray, N.W. 1993 ‘The Reduction of Injuries to Car Occupants in Rear End Impacts with Heavy Vehicles’ 37th STAPP Conference 8–10 Nov 1993 San Antonio, Texas 933123
- Rechnitzer G. Powell C. Seyer K. Development And Testing Of Energy Absorbing Rear Underride Barriers For Heavy Vehicles
- Rechnitzer G. Design Principles for Underride Guards and Crash Test Results SAE Heavy Vehicle Underride Protection TOPTEC April 15–16 1997 Palm Springs, USA
- Rechnitzer G Zou R Grzebieta R Madymo Computer Modeling Of Energy Absorbing Rear Underride Barriers For Heavy Vehicles March 1997
- Zou R. Rechnitzer G. Grzebieta Simulation Of Truck –Rear Underride Barrier Impact 17th ESV June 4–7 2001 Amsterdam