This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A COMPARISON BETWEEN BIORID AND HYBRID III HEAD/NECK/TORSO RESPONSE IN MIDDLE SPEED SLED REAR IMPACT TESTS
Published June 04, 2001 by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in United States
Annotation ability available
The most important tool used in testing methods for evaluating the performance of seat-systems in rear-end impacts is a biofidelic crash test dummy. It has been reported that there are differences in response between two kinds of such dummies, BioRID P3 and Hybrid III, in rear-end impacts at Δ V=9.2 km/h. The objective of this study is to compare the responses of these two types of dummies, at moderate speeds with HYGE sled tests (Δ V=15 km/h, 25 km/h). At Δ V=25 km/h or less, the BioRID and HYIII dummies showed clear differences in their response to a rear-end collision, and the BioRID showed higher biofidelity than the HyIII in this condition.
|Technical Paper||Injury Mechanisms in Side Impact|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Low Speed Thorax Impact Test Procedure for the HIII 50th Male Dummy|
|Technical Paper||Evaluation of the ES-2re Dummy in Biofidelity, Component, and Full Vehicle Crash Tests|
CitationGotou, T., Ono, K., Ito, M., and Matuoka, F., "A COMPARISON BETWEEN BIORID AND HYBRID III HEAD/NECK/TORSO RESPONSE IN MIDDLE SPEED SLED REAR IMPACT TESTS," SAE Technical Paper 2001-06-0032, 2001.
- Sekizuka M. Seat Design for Whiplash Injury Lessening 16th ESV Conf., Windsor, Canada, 1998, Paper No. 98-S7-O-06
- Lundell B. Jakobsson L. Alfredson B. Jerstöm C. Isaksson-Hellman, I. Guidelines for the Design of Car Seat Concept for Protection against Neck Injuries In Rear End Car Impacts Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1998
- Wiklund, K. Larsson H. “Saab Active Head Restraint (SAHR)” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1998
- Geigl B.C. Steffan H. Dippel C. Muser M.H. Walz F. Svensson M.Y. “Comparison of Head-Neck Kinematics During Rear End Impact Between Standard Hybrid III, RID Neck, Volunteers and PMTO's. ” Proc. of 1995 Int. IRCOBI Conference on the Biomechanics of Impact Brunnen, Switzerland 261 270 1995
- Ono K. Kaneoka K. Wittek A. Kajzer J. “Cervical Injury Mechanism Based on the Analysis of Human Cervical Vertebral Motion and Head-Neck-Torso Kinematics During Low Speed Rear Impacts.” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. New York 339 356 1997
- Davidsson J. Lövsund P. Ono K. Inami S. Svensson M. Y “A Comparison between Volunteer, BioRID P3 and Hybrid III Performance in Rear-End Sled Collisions Impacts” Proc. of 1999 IRCOBI
- Gotou T. Ono K. Inami S. Kaneoka K. Davidsson J. “A Comparison Between Human Volunteer and 3 Types of Dummies Head/Neck/Torso Response in Rear-end Sled Impact” Japan Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1999