THE ANALYSIS OF DUTCH NATIONAL DATA ON HEAVY TRUCK ACCIDENTS: THE NECESSARY EXTENSION OF TRADITIONAL FREQUENCY COUNTS WITH LOGISTIC REGRESSION ANALYSIS
Published June 04, 2001 by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in United States
Annotation ability available
For the 1993–1997 Dutch national accident data, logistic regression analysis was used to find the most important factors, that influenced the outcome of an accident with a truck involved. Frequency counts were used to identify factors that occurred most frequently. The combination of these two methods led to the most important factors influencing the number and severity of truck accidents. An important extension with respect to only frequency counts is that significance levels were taken into account to check whether differences are really distinguishable. It was concluded that the combination of frequency counts and logistic regression is a necessary extension to prevent the presentation of artefacts when basing conclusions solely on frequency counts and to find factors with high risk. Furthermore, it was found that national statistics are not detailed enough to find the real underlying causes and can therefore hardly be used to find points for improvement on vehicle and road design. Therefore, in-depth investigation of truck accidents is necessary to identify real causes.
Citationde Vries, Y. and Mooi, H., "THE ANALYSIS OF DUTCH NATIONAL DATA ON HEAVY TRUCK ACCIDENTS: THE NECESSARY EXTENSION OF TRADITIONAL FREQUENCY COUNTS WITH LOGISTIC REGRESSION ANALYSIS," SAE Technical Paper 2001-06-0014, 2001.
- Janssen, E.G., et al., 1995, Ontwikkelingen in de richting van duurzame voertuigveiligheid, SWOV, Leidschendam, The Netherlands (Dutch)
- Goudswaard, A.P., Janssen, E.G., 1990, Passieve veiligheid bedrijfsvoertuigen; een literatuuronderzoek, TNO-report 754080030, Delft, The Netherlands (Dutch)
- Vries, Y.W.R. de, 2000, Accident Analysis of Heavy Trucks, TNO-Report 00.OR.BV.053.1 /YdV, Delft, The Netherlands (English)
- Langwieder, K., Bäumler, H., 1995, Energy-Absorbing Front Underrun Protection of Trucks, Dep. of Automotive Engineering and Accident Research, Munich, Germany (English)
- Grandel, J., Interior safety of truck cabs. Results of an in depth study, DEKRA AG, Stuttgart, Germany (English)
- FAI, 1994, Untersuchungen zur inneren Sicherheit van Lkw-Fahrerhausern, FAI: Schriften Reihe nr. 115ISSN 0933-050 X, FAT, Frankfurt, Germany (German)
- FARS database, internet: http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/www/query.html
- Knight, I., 2000, Accidents involving heavy goods vehicles 1994 to 1996, TRL, ImechE Conference Transactions: Vehicle safety 2000, C567/015/2000, ISBN: 1 86058 271 0, Chippenham, Wiltshire, UK. (English)
- Polak, P.H., Blokpoel, A., 1998, Schatting van de werkelijke omvang van de verkeeronveiligheid 1997, R-98-55, SWOV, Leidschendam, The Netherlands (Dutch)