This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Management of the Product Development Process in the Brazilian Autoparts Industry: Current Practices and Main Problems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the results of a survey on the practices, problems, performance and trends in the product development process (PDP) management of the Brazilian autoparts industry. Last decade, this industry underwent a broad process of restructuring following the deregulation of Brazilian economy. In general, there is: a wide dissemination of PDP reference models, but they are partly implemented; application of methods and tools to problem solving, but they are poor integrated; use of development teams to carried out the tasks; integration with automakers; and, there is a lack of PDP performance measurement.
- José Carlos de Toledo - Universidade Federal de São Carlos
- Manoel Fernando Martins - Universidade Federal de São Carlos
- Roberto Antonio Martins - Universidade Federal de São Carlos
- Gilberto C. R. Bernasconi - Universidade Federal de São Carlos
- Fernanda Menezes Ferrari - Universidade Federal de São Carlos
- Sérgio Luis da Silva - Universidade Federal de São Carlos
- Henrique Rozenfeld - Universidade de São Paulo
Citationde Toledo, J., Martins, M., Martins, R., Bernasconi, G. et al., "Management of the Product Development Process in the Brazilian Autoparts Industry: Current Practices and Main Problems," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3924, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3924.
- Coutinho, L.; Ferraz, J.C. (coords.) (1994), Estudo da competitividade da indústria brasileira. Campinas, SP, Papirus.
- Silva, S.L. (1995), Estratégia e desempenho no desenvolvimento de produtos na indústria automobilística brasileira. São Carlos, DEP/UFSCar. (dissertação)
- Prahalad, C.K.; Lieberthal, K. (1998), “The end of corporate imperialism”. Harvard Business Review, p. 69- 79, July/August.
- Clark, K.B.; Fujimoto, T. (1991), Product development performance: strategy, organization and management in the world auto industry. Boston, MA, Harvard Business Press.
- Slack, N. (1991), The manufacturing advantage. London, Mercury Books.
- Toledo, J.C.; Almeida, H.S. (1991), “Qualidade total do produto”. Produção, vol.2, n.1, pp.21-37.
- Clausing, D. (1994), Total quality development. New York, NY, ASME Press.
- Clark, K.B.; Wheelwright, S.C. (1993), Managing new product and process development: text and cases. New York, NY, The Free Press.
- Pugh, S. (1996), Creating innovative products using total design. Reading, MA, Addison-Wesley.
- Prasad, B. (1997), Concurrent engineering fundamentals. New Jersey, NY, Prentice Hall.