This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Vehicles Converted From Gasoline to CNG Using Conversion Devises (Kits)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In recent years the Brazilian government has supported the use of natural gas (CNG) in taxis and private vehicles. The installation of conversion Kits to gasoline and alcohol engines (Otto Cycle), transforms the vehicles to dual fuel. This means that the engine can run in CNG or in the original fuel. Natural gas is being produced in good quantities in Brazil offshore oil fields and also provided from Bolivia-Brazil gas system, supplying all southwest area of the country.
This paper presents the test results of the 4 (four) types of conversion Kits. Attending a contract signed with ANP by the National Technology Institute (INT) jointing efforts with the thermal engines laboratory of the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ) the investigation effort was designed to address emissions characteristics, performance and components paid wear for the engines working with gasoline and CNG in a comparative study.
CitationBelchior, C., Barcellos, W., de Barros Pimentel, V., and Pereira, P., "Analysis of Vehicles Converted From Gasoline to CNG Using Conversion Devises (Kits)," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3883, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3883.
- Milton, B.C. “Compression Ignition Combustion of Low Cetane Number Fuels” Heat Transfers 1998 Proceedings of 11 IHTC 1 23-28 August Kyongju, Korea
- Hochhauser, A.M. et al Comparison of CNG and gasoline vehicle exhaust emissions: mass and composition - the auto/oil air quality improvement research program SAE paper 952507
- Liss, W.E. Thrasher, W.H. Natural gas as stationary engine and vehicular fuel SAE paper 912364
- Francisco E.B. Nigio Suelli Maurício A. Clayton B. Zabeu Silva Lidia L.C. Figueiredo Silvio “Effects of natural gas composition on bus engine performance” SAE paper 973038
- Ishii, M. et al. Experimental studies on natural gas vehicle SAE paper 942005 1994
- Goto, Yuichi Kazuyuki Narusawa “Combustion stabilization of a spark ignition gas engine” SAE 9631669 1995
- ANV - Internet Site - Natural gas vehicles
- Natural gas vehicles