This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hierarchical Human-in-the loop Control Systems: An Application for Tactile Interfaces and Adjustable Autonomy.
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The last few years have witnessed major changes both in the traditional view of artificial intelligence (AI) and in how humans interact with machines. An increasing number of researchers have been shifting their efforts towards human-centered computing, to create smarter systems and interfaces to support and leverage human capabilities. This paper introduces a research effort to develop an intelligent control system with adjustable autonomy to augment human activities on complex, high workload environments. This system is based on a multi-modular, hierarchical, variable structure control system, integrated with conventional and novel tactile displays to assist and monitor the complex plant composed by human and machine.
|Technical Paper||Usability Evaluation of Integrated Switch System|
|Technical Paper||Layout Design using an Optimization-Based Human Energy Consumption Formulation|
|Technical Paper||Exploring Anthropometric Data through Cluster Analysis|
CitationCarvalho., M., Raj, A., and Drakunov., S., "Hierarchical Human-in-the loop Control Systems: An Application for Tactile Interfaces and Adjustable Autonomy.," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3854, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3854.
- Oz project. Project website at the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition, University of West Florida, online at http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/projects/oz/index.html
- Bolia Robert S., D'Angelo William R. and McKinley Richard L.. “Aurally Aided visual Seach in Three-Dimensional Space”, in Human Factors, Vol. 41, No. 4. December 1999.
- Raj Anil K., Kass Steven J. and Perry James F.. “Vibrotactile Displays for Improving Spatial Awareness” in Proceedings of the IEA 2000/HFES 2000 Congress
- Tactile Sistuation Awareness Sytems (TSAS). Project website at the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition, University of the West Florida, at http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/projects/tsas/main.html
- White, B. W. (1970). “Perceptual findings with the vision-substitution system.” IEEE Transactions on Man-Machine Systems, MMS-11 (Whole No. 1), 54–57
- Rochlis, J. L. (1998) “A Vibrotactile Display for Aiding Extravehicular Activity (EVA) Navigation in Space”. Masters Thesis, Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston, MA
- Raj A. K., Suri, N., Braithwaite, M. G., Rupert, A.H., (1998) “The Tactile Situation Awareness System in Rotary Wing Aircraft: Flight Test Results”, In: Proceedings of the RTA/HFM Symposium on Current Aeromedical Issues in Rotary Wing Operations, 19–22 October 1998
- Department of the Army (1988). “Fundamentals of flight” (Field Manual No. 1–203). Washington, D.C., pp. 6:43–48
- Decker, W. (2000, July). Flight control and cockpit integration branch, Rotorcraft Division, NASA-Ames Research Center. Personal communication with A. Raj
- Verhagen Harko and Kummeneje Johan. “Adjustable Autonomy, Delegation and Distribution of Decision Making”. 1999.
- Raney David L. et al. “Flight Control using Distributed Shape-Change Effector Arrays”. 41st AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference & Exhibit. Altanta, GA 2000.
- Wlezien R.W. et al. “The Aircraft Morphing Projgram”. 39th Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference and Exhibit. Long Beach,. CA. 1998
- Freed, M.A., Shafto, M.G., “Human-System Modeling: Some Principles and Pragmatic Approach”, Verification on Interactive Systems, Granada, Spain, 1997
- McRuer Duane. “Development of Pilot-in-the-Loop Analysis”. Journal of Aircraft. Vol. 10, No. 9. September 1973. pp. 515–524
- Brogan, W.L. (1999). “Modern control design”. (3rd ed.). New Jersey: Prentice Hall
- Marino, R., Tomei, P. (1996) “Nonlinear Control Design”. New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Drakunov, S., “Sliding-Mode Observers Based on Equivalent Control Method,” Proceedings of the 31st IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC), Tucson, Arizona, December 16–18, 1992, pp. 2368–2370
- DeCarlo R., Zak S. and Drakunov S. V., “Variable Structure and Sliding Mode Control,” chapter in The Control Handbook a Volume in the Electrical Engineering Handbook Series, CRC Press, Inc., 1996
- Hewett R, Raj AK, and Suri N, “Intelligent Control for a Tactile Situation Awareness System,” In: Proceedings of the International Association of Science and Technology for Development, Applied Informatics 2000, 14–17 February 2000, pp. 383–386.
- Stengel Robert F.. “Toward Intelligent Flight Control” in IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics. Vol. 23, No. 6, November/December 1993.