This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Coatings Appearance and Durability Testing Induced Surface Defects Using Image Capture/Processing/Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the applicability of optical imaging techniques to the analysis of the scratch resistance of automotive interior plastic materials. The evaluation of so-called “finger testing” has traditionally relied upon human vision for detection of the initial scratch position. Commonly performed under uniform and defined illumination conditions, the relative contrast difference signified by whitening on a surface as determined by unaided human vision is a highly variable subjective perception; thus individual inspectors may determine the “whitening” point differently. This paper compares test data obtained from both visual and instrumental evaluation methods and discusses the advantages of optical imaging techniques for surface defect analysis.
|Technical Paper||Design for the NIRSpec Optical Assembly Cover|
|Technical Paper||A Thermo-Resistive Flow Sensor for Injection Rate Measurements|
|Technical Paper||New Polymethylpentene Compounds for Automotive Applications|
CitationLee, F., Ryntz, R., Britz, D., and Summerville, J., "Analysis of Coatings Appearance and Durability Testing Induced Surface Defects Using Image Capture/Processing/Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3798, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3798.
- Yaneff, P. Adamsons, K. Ryntz, R. Britz, D. “Structure/Property Relationships in Felxible Silane Automotive Coatings,” International Waterborne, High-Solids, and Powder Coatings Symposium New Orleans, LA Feb. 21-23 2001
- Lee, F. Pourdeyhimi B Adamsons, K “Analysis of Coatings Appearance and Surface Defects Using Digital Image Capture/Processing/Analysis The International Symposium on a Systems Approach to Service Life Prediction of Organic Coatings Breckenridge, Co Sep 14-19 1997
- Pourdeyhimi, B. Lee, F. European Coatings Journal 1995 11 804
- Wypych, G. Lee, F. Pourdeyhimi, B. Durability of Building and Construction Sealants Wolf A. T. RILEM 2000
- Lee, F. Pourdeyhimi, B. Martin, J. “Comparative Study of Standard Weathering Test Methods Using Image Analysis,” Durability 2000: Accelerated and Outdoor Weathering Testing, ASTM STP 1385 Evans J. D. Ketola W. D. American Society for Testing and Materials West Conshohocken, PA 2000
- Pourdeyhimi, B. Wang, X Lee, F. Evaluation of Scratch and Mar Resistance in Automotive Coatings: Nanoscratching by Atomic Force Microscope European Coatings Journal 1999 March
- Pourdeyhimi, B. Wang, X. Lee, F. Schoff, C. Evaluation of Scratch and Mar Resistance in Automotive Coatings: Surface Reflectivity and Texture Proceedings of the RETEC 98 Sep 27-29 1998 Cleveland, OH