This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Contribution of Passenger Cars and Trucks to CO2, CH4, N2O, CFC and HFC Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 12, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Global and regional greenhouse gas emissions of natural and anthropogenic origin are estimated. Biogenic CO2 emissions are globally 770 billion t/year and anthropo-genic CO2 emissions in 2000 are 28 billion t/year. Assuming that biogenic emissions are in a equilibrium only manmade CO2 emissions for comparisons are used. Regarding only the anthropogenic CO2 emission road transport contributes globally about 10 % and regionally in Europe about 20%. The contribution of road transport on the total CH4 emission is globally less than 0.2%, regionally about 1% regarding only the anthropogenic CH4-emission road transport contribute globally less than 0.5% and regionally in Europe about 2%.
The contribution of road transport on the total N2O emission is globally less than 0.3%, regionally less than 2%, regarding only the anthropogenic N2O emission road transport contribute globally less than 1% and regionally in Europe about 10 %.
The contribution of road transport on the total CFC-emission is globally less than 0.1%, regionally about 0.2%. All CFC emissions are anthropogenic.
CitationMetz, N., "Contribution of Passenger Cars and Trucks to CO2, CH4, N2O, CFC and HFC Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3758, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3758.
- Crutzen P.J. Seiler W. “Estimates of cross and net fluxes of carbon between the biosphere and the atmosphere, climatic change 2 1980 207
- Crutzen P.J. Methane's sinks and sources, Nature Bd. 350 1991 380
- Ehalt D.H. 1987 78 96
- Logan J.A. Nitrogen oxides in the troposphere: Global budgets J. Geophys. Res. 88 C15 1983 Dec. 20 10.785 10.807
- Smythe K.D. AFEAS: Prod., sales and atmosph. release of fluorocarbons
- Metz N. Non CO2-greenhouse gases Ham J.v. et al. Kluwer Acad. Publ. Netherl. 1994 335 343 Proc. of Maastricht Conf. Dec 1993
- Metz N. 1980-2010 376 1999 68 80
- Cozzarini C. Lenz H.P. Emission and air quality SAE Warrendale 1999
- CORINAIR-calculation model for road transport emission estimation Brussels 1998
- Metz N. Development of emissions and air quality in the states of the European Union, in Different pathways through life Denke et al. Lincom Europa 1999 Munich, Newcastle
- Auto-Oil-Program II of the European Union, Data base, DG XI Brussels 2000
- Blok K. Jager D.d. Handriks C. Economic evaluation of sectoral emission reduction, objectives for climate change ECOFYS Energy dep. Netherl.
- Metz N. Evolution of worldwide emissions from 1980 to 1996 and future trends AIT&FIA Commission week public policy commission round table on air quality and mobility Salsomaggiore 9 Sept. 1998
- Mc Culloch A. Midgley P. Estimated historic emissions of fluorocarbons from the European Union Atm. Environm. 32 1998 1571 1580 1999 CEFIC Mc Cullojch Midgley 20 6 2001