This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Fuel Properties on SIDI Fuel Injector Deposit
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Spring Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition SAE International Fall Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition
The tendency of spark ignition direct injection (SIDI) engines to form injector deposits was investigated using engine dynamometer tests on a SIDI engine equipped with fan spray type injectors. Fifteen test fuels with varying 90% distillation temperature (T90), aromatics, olefins, oxygenates and sulfur levels were prepared to identify the effects of fuel properties on injector deposits. The results suggested that not only the T90 but also the number of alkyl substituent of aromatics had effects on injector deposit formation. Effects of detergents on the injector deposit cleanliness were also evaluated in this study.
CitationAshida, T., Takei, Y., and Hosi, H., "Effects of Fuel Properties on SIDI Fuel Injector Deposit," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3694, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3694.
- Gohno Takeshi: Direct Injection Gasoline Engine, PETROTECH vol. 20 No. 6 (1997)
- Kinoshita Masao, Saito Akinori, Matsushita Souichi, Shibata Hitoshi, Niwa Yutaka: A Method for Suppressing Formation of Deposits on Fuel Injector for Direct Injection Gasoline Engine, SAE Paper 1999-01-3656 (1999)
- Aradi Allen A., Imoehl W., Avery N.L., Wells P.P., Grosser R.W.: The Effect of Fuel Composition and Engine Operating Parameters on Injector Deposits in a High-Pressure Direct Injection Gasoline (DIG) Research Engine, SAE Technical Paper Series 1999-01-3690 (1999)
- Aradi Allen A., Zahalka T. L., Imoehl W.: Impact of Fuel Aromatic Content and Type on Injector Deposit Formation in Direct Injection Gasoline (DIG) Engines, 6th Annual Fuels & Lubes Asia Conference, Singapore, January 27, (2000)
- Aradi Allen A., Colucci William J., Scull, Herbert M. Jr., Openshaw Martin J.: A Study of Fuel Additives for Direct Injection Gasoline (DIG) Injector Deposit Control, SAE Paper 2000-01-2020 (2000)
- Arters David C., Bardasz Ewa A., Schiferl Elizabeth A., Fisher Douglas W.: A Comparison of Gasoline Direct Injection and Port Fuel Injection Vehicles; Part 1 - Fuel System Deposits and Vehicle Performance, SAE Paper 1999-01-1498 (1999)
- Saito Ken-ichiro: The Efforts to the Fuel Quality for the Environment Load Reduction - Compatible of the Gasoline Quality to the New Vehicle Technology, Nippon Mitsubishi Oil Vehicle Symposium 2000
- Ueda Shinji, Mori Yukio, Iwanari Eiji, Oguma Yoshitomo, Minoura Yousuke: Development of a New Injector in Gasoline Direct Injection System, SAE Paper 2000-01-1046
- Uehara T., Takei Y., Hoshi H., Shiratani K., Okada M., Esaki Y.: Study on Combustion Chamber Deposit Formation Mechanism -Influence of Fuel Comparisons and Gasoline Detergents, SAE Paper 971722 (1997)