This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Statistical Model and Simulation of Engine Torque and Speed Correlation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Spring Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition SAE International Fall Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition
Even under steady state operating conditions, the pressure variation in individual cylinders, and the corresponding gas-pressure torque are subjected to small random fluctuations from cycle to cycle. The gas-pressure torque of a cylinder may be expressed as a sum of harmonically variable components, each harmonic being affected by these fluctuations. A probabilistic model of the vector interpreting such a harmonic component is developed and used to determine the statistical parameters of the resultant random vector representing the corresponding harmonic order of the engine torque. At the low frequencies of the lowest harmonic orders of the engine torque the crankshaft behaves like a rigid body. This behavior permits to correlate the statistical parameters of the same harmonic components of the resultant torque and of the measured engine speed. This correlation is proved by experiments and used to identify faulty cylinders.
CitationTaraza, D., "Statistical Model and Simulation of Engine Torque and Speed Correlation," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3686, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3686.
- Brown T.S. Neil W.S. Determination of Engine Cylinder Pressures from Crankshaft Speed Fluctuations SAE Paper 920463
- Rizzoni G. Diagnosis of Individual Cylinder Misfires by Signature Analysis of Crankshaft Speed Fluctuations SAE Paper 89884
- Citron S.J. O'Higgins J.E. Chen L.Y. Cylinder by Cylinder Engine Pressure and Pressure Torque Waveform Determination Utilizing Speed Fluctuation SAE Paper 890486
- Chen K.S. Chen S. Engine Diagnostics by Dynamic Shaft Measurement: A Progress Report SAE Paper 932412
- Taraza D. Possibilities to Reconstruct Indicator Diagrams by Analysis of the Angular Motion of the Crankshaft SAE Paper 932414
- Champoussin J.C. Ginoux S. Engine torque Determination by Crank Angle Measurements: State of the Art, Future Prospects SAE Paper 970532
- Taraza D. Henein A.N. Bryzik W. The Frequency Analysis of the Crankshaft's Speed Variation: A reliable Tool for Diesel Engine Diagnosis ASME transactions, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 123 2 April 2001
- Taraza D. Statistical Correlation Between the Crankshaft's Speed Variation and the Contribution of Individual Cylinders to the Total Engine Output 35 2000 ICE Fall Technical Conference ASME 2000 81 93
- Taraza D. Quantifying Relationship Between the Crankshaft's Speed Variation and the Gas pressure Torque SAE Paper 2001-01-1007 and SAE Special Publication SP-1606
- Taraza D. Dynamics of Internal Combustion Engine Bucharest 1985
- Hafner K.E. Maass H. Torsionsschwingungen in der Verbrennungskraftmaschine Springer Verlag, Wien New-York 1985
- Ventsel H. Théorie des Probabilités. Mir Moscou 1973