This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Spray Characteristics of DME Blended Biodiesel Oil
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Spring Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition SAE International Fall Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition
Spray characteristics of biodiesel oil was investigated as it can be applied to industrial combustion systems, including internal combustion engines. Shadowgraph methodology using Greenfield system was used to take some images of the spray and to measure droplet size. A high speed video camera was also used to take a picture of spray penetration and its angle. From the results, it shows that DME blended biodiesel oil has almost the same droplet size as conventional diesel oil, when the blended DME ratio is over 50% by weight. It is also shown that there exists optimum fuel injection pressure that has minimum droplet size when the ambient gas pressure is constant.
Citationkim, I., Hyun, G., Goto, S., and Ehara, R., "Spray Characteristics of DME Blended Biodiesel Oil," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3636, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3636.
- Guo, J. Chikahisa, A. Murayama, T. Miyano, M. “Improvement of Performance and Emissions of a Compression Ignition Methanol Engine with Dimethyl Ether” SAEpaper 941908 1994
- Srenson, S., C. Mikkelsen, S., E. “Performance and Emissions of a 0.273 Liter DirectIjection Diesel Engine Fueled Neat Dimethyl Ether” SAEpaper 950064 1995
- Kapus, M., E. Caffelliier, W., P. “ULEV Potential of DI/TCI Diesel Passenger Car Engine Granted on Dimethyl Ether” SAE paper 952754 1995
- Hansen, J., B. Voss, B. Joensen, F. Siguroadotti, I., D. “Large Scale Manufacture of Dimethyl Ether - a New Alternative Diesel Fuel from Natural Gas” SAE paper 950063 1995
- Zhou, L. Wang, H. Jiang, D. Huang, Z. “Study of Performance and Combustion Characteristics of a DME-Fueled Light-Duty Direct-Injection Diesel Engine” SAE paper 1999-01-3669 1999
- Wakai, K. Nishida, K. Yoshizaki, T. Hiroyasu, H. “Ignition Delays of DME and Diesel Fuel Sprays Injected by a D.I. Diesel Injector” SAE paper 1999-01-3600 1999
- Kajitani, S. Chen, Z., L. Konno, M. Rhee, K., T. “Engine Performance and Exhaust Characteristics of Direct-Injection Diesel Engine Operated with DME” SAE paper 972973 1997
- Lee, D. Goto, S. Shakal, J. H, S. “Characteristcs of an LPG Spray in a Constant Volume Chamber” 7th Symposium(ILASS-JAPAN) on Atomization 182 192 1998
- Crosby, E. “Atomization Considerations in Spray Processing” Proceedings of 1st International Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems 434 448 1978
- Hiroyasu, H. Shimizu, M. Arai, M. “The breakup of High Speed Jet in a High Pressure Gaseous Atmosphere Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems 69 74 1982