This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dimethoxy Methane in Diesel Fuel: Part 3. The Effect of Pilot Injection, Fuels and Engine Operating Modes on Emissions of Toxic Air Pollutants and Gas/Solid Phase PAH
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The objective of this study was to quantify the effect of pilot fuel injection on engine-out emissions of potentially toxic compounds from a modern diesel engine operated with different fuels including 15% v/v dimethoxy methane in a low-sulfur diesel fuel. Five diesel fuels were examined: a low-sulfur (∼1 ppm), low aromatic, hydrocracked fuel, the same low-sulfur fuel containing 15% v/v dimethoxy methane, a Fischer-Tropsch fuel, a California reformulated fuel, and a EPA number 2 certification fuel. A DaimlerChrysler OM611 CIDI engine was controlled with a SwRI Rapid Prototyping Electronic Control system. The pilot fuel injection was either turned off or turned on with engine control by either Location of Peak Pressure (LPP) of combustion or the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) calibration strategy. These three control strategies were compared over 2 speed-load modes run in triplicate. Thirty-three potentially toxic compounds were measured. In general, either pilot fuel injection strategy (LPP or OEM) produced higher emissions than with pilot injection turned off.
- James C. Ball - Ford Motor Co.
- Charles Lapin - Lapin Associates
- Janet Buckingham - Southwest Research Institute
- Edwin Frame - Southwest Research Institute
- Doug Yost - Southwest Research Institute
- John Garbak - U. S. Department of Energy
- A. Manuel - PDVSA Intevep.
- D. González - PDVSA Intevep.
- Eleanor Liney - Equilon Enterprises
- Mani Natarajan - Marathon Ashland Petroleum Co.
- James P. Wallace - Wallace Associates, LLC
CitationBall, J., Lapin, C., Buckingham, J., Frame, E. et al., "Dimethoxy Methane in Diesel Fuel: Part 3. The Effect of Pilot Injection, Fuels and Engine Operating Modes on Emissions of Toxic Air Pollutants and Gas/Solid Phase PAH," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3630, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3630.
SAE 2001 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V110-4; Published: 2002-09-15
Number: V110-4; Published: 2002-09-15
- Ball, J.C., Lapin, C., Buckingham, J., Frame, E., Yost, D., Gonzalez, M., Liney, E., Natarajan, M., Wallace, J., “Dimethoxy methane in diesel fuel: Part 1. The effect of engine operating mode and fuels on emissions of toxic air pollutants and gas/solid phase PAH,” SAE Paper 01FL-514 (2001).
- Ball, J.C., Lapin, C., Buckingham, J., Frame, E., Yost, D., Gonzalez, M., Liney, E., Natarajan, M., Wallace, J., “Dimethoxy methane in diesel fuel: Part 2. The effect of fuels on emissions of toxic air pollutants and gas/solid phase PAH using a composite of engine operating modes,” SAE Paper 01FL-513 (2001).
- Sirman, M.B., Owens, E.C., Whitney, K.A., “Emissions comparison of alternative fuels in an advanced automotive diesel engine,” SAE Paper 2000-01-2048 (2000).
- Maricq, M.M., Chase, R.E., Podsiadlik, D.H., Siegl, W.O., and Kaiser, E.W., “The effect of dimethoxymethane additive on diesel particulate emissions,” SAE Paper 982572 (1998).
- Hilden, D.L., Eckstrom, J.C., and Wolf, L.R., “The emissions performance of oxygenated diesel fuels in a prototype DI diesel engine,” SAE Paper 01P-307 (2000).
- Kocis, D., Song, K., Lee, H., and Litzinger, T., “Effects of dimethoxymethane and dimethylcarbonate on soot production in an optically-accessible DI diesel engine,” SAE Paper 2000-01-2795 (2000).
- Chapman, E.M., Bhide, S.V., and Boehman, A.L., “Emission characteristics of a Navistar 7.3L turbodiesel fueled with blends of oxygenates and diesel,” SAE paper 2000-01-2887 (2000).
- Ganser, M. A., “Common rail injector with injection rate control,” SAE Paper 981927 (1998).
- Zhang, L., “A study of pilot injection in a DI diesel engine,” SAE Paper 1999-01-3493 (1999).
- Flaig, U., Polach, W., and Ziegler, G., “Common rail system (CR-System) for passenger car DI diesel engines; experiences with applications for series production projects,” SAE Paper 1999-01-0191 (1999).
- Ishikawa, S., Ohmori, Y., Fukushima, S., Suzuki, T., Takamura, A., and Kamimoto, T., “Measurement of rate of multiple-injection in CDI diesel engines,” SAE Paper 2000-01-1257 (2000).
- Ogawa, H., Miyamoto, N., Li, C. and Sakai, A., “Improvements of diesel combustion and emissions with two-stage fuel injection at different piston positions,” SAE Paper 2000-01-1180 (2000).
- Chen, S. K., “Simultaneous reduction of NOx and particulate emissions by using multiple injections in a small diesel engine,” SAE Paper 2000-01-3084 (2000).
- Bland, M., “An Introduction to Medical Statistics,” Oxford University Press, New York (1987).
- Mason, R.L., Gunst, R.F., and Hess, J.L., “Statistical Design and Analysis of Experiments with Applications to Engineering and Science,” John Wiley &Sons, Inc, New York, 1989.
- Millikin, G.A., and Johnson, D.E., “Analysis of Messy Data, Volume I: Designed Experiments,” Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1984.