This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dimethoxy Methane in Diesel Fuel: Part 2. The Effect of Fuels on Emissions of Toxic Air Pollutants and Gas/Solid Phase PAH Using a Composite Of Engine Operating Modes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A weighted composite of four engine-operating modes, representative of typical operating modes found in the US FTP driving schedule, were used to compare engine-out emissions of toxic compounds using five diesel fuels. The fuels examined were: a low-sulfur low-aromatic hydrocracked diesel fuel, the same low-sulfur fuel containing 15% v/v dimethoxy methane, a Fischer-Tropsch fuel, a CARB fuel, and a EPA number 2 diesel certification fuel. A DaimlerChrysler OM611 CIDI engine was operated over 4 speed-load modes: mode 5, 2600 RPM, 8.8 BMEP; mode 6, 2300 RPM, 4.2 BMEP; mode 10, 2000 RPM, 2.0 BMEP; mode 11, 1500 RPM, 2.6 BMEP. The four engine operating modes were weighted as follows: mode 5, 25/1200; mode 6, 200/1200; mode 10, 375/1200; and mode 11, 600/1200. Each operating mode and fuel combination was run in triplicate. An analysis of variance of fuels showed that, in general, the 15% v/v dimethoxy methane fuel and the Fisher-Tropsch fuels had significantly lower (p < 0.05) emissions of measured compounds compared to the remaining fuels and were statistically indistinguishable from each other.
- James C. Ball - Ford Motor Co.
- Charles Lapin - Lapin Associates
- Janet Buckingham - Southwest Research Institute
- Edwin Frame - Southwest Research Institute
- Doug Yost - Southwest Research Institute
- John Garbak - U. S. Department of Energy
- Manuel A. González D. - PDVSA Intevep.
- Eleanor Liney - Equilon Enterprises
- Mani Natarajan - Marathon Ashland Petroleum Co.
- James P. Wallace - Wallace Associates, LLC
CitationBall, J., Lapin, C., Buckingham, J., Frame, E. et al., "Dimethoxy Methane in Diesel Fuel: Part 2. The Effect of Fuels on Emissions of Toxic Air Pollutants and Gas/Solid Phase PAH Using a Composite Of Engine Operating Modes," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3628, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3628.
SAE 2001 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V110-4; Published: 2002-09-15
Number: V110-4; Published: 2002-09-15
- Sirman, M.B. Owens, E.C. Whitney, K.A. “Emissions comparison of alternative fuels in an advanced automotive diesel engine,” SAE Paper 2000-01-2048 2000
- Maricq, M.M. Chase, R.E. Podsiadlik, D.H. Siegl, W.O. Kaiser, E.W. “The effect of dimethoxymethane additive on diesel particulate emissions,” SAE Paper 982572 1998
- Hilden, D.L. Eckstrom, J.C. Wolf, L.R. “The emissions performance of oxygenated diesel fuels in a prototype DI diesel engine,” SAE Paper 2001-01-0650 2001
- Kocis, D. Song, K. Lee, H. Litzinger, T. “Effects of dimethoxymethane and dimethylcarbonate on soot production in an optically-accessible DI diesel engine,” SAE Paper 2000-01-2795 2000
- Chapman, E.M. Bhide, S.V. Boehman, A.L. “Emission characteristics of a Navistar 7.3L turbodiesel fueled with blends of oxygenates and diesel,” SAE paper 2000-01-2887 2000
- Ball, J.C. Lapin, C. Buckingham, J. Frame, E. Yost, D. Gonzalez, M. Liney, E. Natarajan, M. Wallace, J.P. III “Dimethoxy Methane in Diesel Fuel: Part 1. The effect of engine operating mode and fuels on emissions of toxic air pollutants and gas and solid phase PAH” SAE Paper 01FL-513 2001
- Szymkowicz, P.G. French, D.T. Crellin, C.C. “Effects of advanced fuels on the particulate and NOx emissions from an optimized light-duty CIDI engine,” SAE paper 2001-01-0148 2001
- Gardner, T.P. Low, S.S. Kenney, T.E. “Evaluation of some alternative diesel fuels for low emissions and improved fuel economy,” SAE paper 2001-01-0149 2001
- Korn, S.J. “An advanced diesel fuels test program,” SAE paper 2001-01-0150 2001
- Kenney, T.E. Gardner, T.P. Low, S.S. Eckstrom, J.C. Wolf, L.R. Korn, S.J. Szymkowicz, P.G. “Overall Results: Phase 1 Ad Hoc Diesel Fuel Test Program,” SAE paper 2001-01-0151 2001
- Bland, M. “An Introduction to Medical Statistics,” Oxford University Press New York 1987
- Mason, R.L. Gunst, R.F. Hess, J.L. “Statistical Design and Analysis of Experiments with Applications to Engineering and Science,” John Wiley &Sons, Inc New York 1989
- 13 Millikin, G.A. Johnson, D.E. “Analysis of Messy Data, Volume I: Designed Experiments,” Van Nostrand Reinhold New York 1984