This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Morphological Analysis of Particulate Matter emitted by a Diesel Engine using Digital Image Analysis Algorithms and Scanning Mobility Particle Sizer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Spring Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition SAE International Fall Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition
This paper shows the morphological analysis results of particulate matter emissions from an indirect injection Diesel engine working in two operating modes using Digital Image Analysis Algorithms (DIAA) and a Scanning Mobility Particle Sizer (SMPS). Two typical engine operating modes were selected among the collection of steady stages, which reproduce the sequence of operating conditions that the vehicles equipped with this type of engines must follow during the transient cycle established in the European Emission Directive 70/220. The DIAA results were obtained from images of particulate matter collected in filters. The filters were charged in a dilution mini-tunnel, connected up-stream and down-stream of a cyclone-based particulate filtration system, which was coupled to the engine exhaust line. The images were obtained by a Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) from samples taken directly from the charged filters. All the obtained results were compared with the SMPS measurements at the same operating condition and the same sampling points.
CitationArmas, O., Ballesteros, R., and Gómez, A., "Morphological Analysis of Particulate Matter emitted by a Diesel Engine using Digital Image Analysis Algorithms and Scanning Mobility Particle Sizer," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3618, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3618.
- Ahlvik, P. Ntziachristos, L. Keskinen, J. Virtanen, A. “Real time measurements of Diesel particle size distribution with an electrical low impactor” SAE paer 980410 1998
- Abdul-Khalek, I.S. Kittelson, D.B. Graskow, B.R. Wei, Q. Brear, F. “Diesel exhaust particle size: measurement issues and trends” SAE paper 980525 1998
- Mayer, A. Czerwinski, J. Scheidegger, P. “Trapping efficiency depending on particulate size” SAE paper 960472 1996
- Schraml, S. Will, S. Leipertz, A. “Simultaneous measurement of soot mass concentration and primary size in the exhaust of a DI Diesel engine by time-resolved laser-induced incandescence (TIRE-LII)” SAE paper 1999 - 01 - 0146 1999
- Hall, D. E. Stradling, R.J. Zemroch, P.J. Rickeard, D.J. Mann, N. Heinze, P. Martini, G. Hagemann, R. Rantanen, L. Szendefi “Measurement of the number and size distribution of particle emissions from heavy duty engines” SAE paper 2000 - 01 - 2000 2000
- Pagán, J. “Study of particle size distributions emitted by a Diesel engine” SAE paper 1999-01-1141 1999
- Baumgard, K.J. Johnson, J.H. “The effect of low sulfur fuel and a ceramic particle filter on Diesel exhaust particle size distributions” SAE paper 920566 1992
- Carroll, J.N. White, J.J. Khalek, I.A. Kado, N.Y. “Characterization of snowmobile particulate emissions” SAE paper 2000 - 01 - 2003 2000
- Greenwood, S.J. Coxon, J.E. Biddulph, T. Bennett, J. “An investigation to determine the exhaust particulate size distributions for Diesel, petrol and compressed natural gas fuelled vehicles” SAE paper 961085 1996
- Graskow, B.R. Kittelson, D.B. Abdul-Khalek, I.S. Ahmadi, M.R. Morris, J.E. “Characterization of exhaust particulate emissions from a spark ignition engine” SAE paper 980528 1998
- Graskow, B.R. Kittelson, D.B. Ahmadi, M.R. Morris, J.E. “Exhaust particulate emissions from two port fuel injected spark ignition engines” SAE paper 1999 - 01 - 1144 1999
- Mayer, A. Egli, H. Burtscher, H. Czerwinski, J. Gehrig, D. “Particle size distribution downstream traps of different design” SAE paper 950373 1995
- Mayer, A. Matter, U. Scheidegger Czerwinski, J. Wyser, M. Kieser, D. Weidhofer “VERT: Diesel nano-particulate emissions: properties and reduction strategies” SAE paper 980539 1998
- De Lucas, A. Durán, A. Carmona, M. Lapuerta, M. “Characterization of soluble organic fraction in DPM: optimization of extraction method” SAE paper 1999 - 01 - 3532 1999
- Gruber, M. Klawatsch, D. “Influences of motor parameters and fuel quality on particulate emissions” EAEC European Automotive Congress Barcelona 1999 129 141