This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Analysis of Gas Exchange and Combustion Process in a Small Two-Stroke Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Spring Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition SAE International Fall Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition
This paper analyses the scavenge process of a conventional two-stroke engine in order to find ways to significantly reduce the scavenge losses by applying a combination of 1D and 3D simulation procedures. A special evaluation method was developed which allows a clear distinction between the main hydrocarbon loss mechanisms. Furthermore, the paper presents an approach to simulate the highly turbulent combustion at a speed of 9000 rpm. The results of the numerical investigations are compared with experimental results.
The engine chosen for this purpose was a 64 cm3 four-port production two-stroke engine. The CFD calculations were performed using the finite volume CFD code STAR-CD. The mesh generation process was automated using pro*am. Combustion was modelled with the one-equation Weller flamelet model.
The results of the present study show that the combination of 1D and 3D simulation procedures is a powerful tool for further investigations (e.g. stratified charge, GDI).
CitationMugele, M., Tribulowski, J., Peters, H., Spicher, U. et al., "Numerical Analysis of Gas Exchange and Combustion Process in a Small Two-Stroke Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3602, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3602.
- EPA Regulatory Announcement “Final Phase 2 Standards for Spark-Ignition Handheld Engines” 2000
- Nauwerck, A. Gindele, J. Spicher U. “Investigation of the Transient In-Cylinder Flow Inside a Two Stroke Engine with Particle-Image-Velocimetry” SAE 2000-01-0902 2000
- Günthner, M. Mugele, M. Tribulowski, J. Spicher, U. Rosskamp, H. “Numerical Analysis of an Air-Head Stratified Scavenging Concept for Emission Reduction of a Two-Stroke Engine” Paper submitted for ICE 2001 Istituto Motori Naples 2001
- Cunningham, G. Kee, J. R. Kenny, G. R. Skelton, J. W. “Development of a Stratified Scavening System for Small Capacity Two-Stroke Emgines” SAE 1999-01-3270 1999
- Weller, H.G. Uslu, S. Gosman, A.D. Maly, R.R. Herweg, R. Heel, B. “Prediction of Combustion in Homogeneous-Charge Spark-Ignition Engines” International Symposium COMODIA 1994
- Herweg, R. Maly, R.R. “A fundamental model for flame kernel formation in SI engines” SAE 922243 1992
- Meier, K. “Berechnung der Verbrennung und Schadstoffbildung im OTTO-Motor bei großen Abgasrückführraten” Universität Karlsruhe (TH) 1997
- Mugele, M. Worret, R. Spicher, U. “Comparison of Measured and Predicted Combustion Characteristics Using an Improved Quasi-Dimensional Model” ICE 99 Istituto Motori Naples 1999
- Olikara, C. Borman, G. “A Computer Program for Calculating Properties of Equilibrium Combustion Products with some Applications to I.C. Engines” SAE Paper 750468 1975
- Woschni, G. “Die Berechnung der Wandverluste und der thermischen Belastung der Bauteile von Dieselmotoren” MTZ 31 491 499 1970
- Rosskamp, H. Klimmek, A. Mugele, M. Pretzsch, P. “Scavenge Loss Mechanisms and their Driving Forces in Loop-Scavenged High-Performance Two-Stroke Engines” Paper submitted for SAE SETC 2001 Pisa 2001
- Heel, B. “Dreidimensionale Simulation der Strömung und Verbrennung im Zylinder eines Otto-Forschungsmotors” Universität Karlsruhe (TH) 1997
- Meneveau, C. Poinsot, T. “Stretching and Quenching of Flamelets in Premixed Turbulent Combustion” Combustion and Flame 86 311 332 1991
- Abdel-Gayed, R.G. Bradley, D. Hamid, N.M. Lawes, M. “Lewis number effects on turbulent burning velocity” 20 th Symp. On Combustion The Combustion Institute Pittsburgh 505 511 1984
- Abdel-Gayed, R.G. Bradley, Lawes, M. “Turbulent Burning Velocities: A General Correlation in Terms of Straining Rates” Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 414 389 413 1987