This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Gasoline Type and Engine Effects on Equilibrium Combustion Chamber Deposits (CCD)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Spring Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition SAE International Fall Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition
The behavior of equilibrium combustion chamber deposits (CCDs) was examined in Honda generator engines. The initial rapid CCD build-up was followed by a slower period of growth until an equilibrium level was reached after about 240 hours. The chemical composition of these CCDs follow the same compositional trends originally established for a range of vehicle CCDs produced up to 20,000 miles. The mean CCD thickness was related to the total CCD weight obtained from end of test samples. Differences were found in the equilibrium CCD thicknesses among base fuel and gasoline additives. The range of the mean CCD thickness was 155 microns to 240 microns. Three different experimental additives gave equilibrium CCD thickness that were 2% below, 1% above and 22% above the corresponding base fuel. The mean equilibrium CCD thickness for a commercial additive package was 8% above the corresponding base fuel. Analyses of equilibrium CCD thickness changes at individual sampling locations identified active regions on the piston tops near the cylinder wall and by the exhaust valve near the cylinder wall. Other selected regions gave individual point thickness changes comparable to calibration measurements. Mean individual point CCD thickness changes with base fuel and with a commercial additive package were not significantly different. This work demonstrates that it is possible to quantify equilibrium CCD performance differences for gasoline by utilizing CCD thickness measurements
CitationKelemen, S., Siskin, M., Avery, N., Rose, K. et al., "Gasoline Type and Engine Effects on Equilibrium Combustion Chamber Deposits (CCD)," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3583, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3583.
SAE 2001 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V110-4; Published: 2002-09-15
Number: V110-4; Published: 2002-09-15
- Kalghatgi, G. “Combustion Chamber Deposits in Spark-Ignition Engines: A Literature Review” SAE # 952443 ( 1995 )
- Alquist, H. E. Holman, G. E. Wimmer, D. B. “Some Observations of Factors Affecting ORI” SAE # 750932 1975
- Huls, N. “Influence of Engine Variables on Exhaust Oxides of Nitrogen Concentrations from a Multi-Cylinder Engine” SAE # 670482 1967
- Keller, B. D. Meguerin, G. H. Tracey, C. B. Smith, J. B. “ORI of Today's Vehicles” SAE # 760195 ( 1976 ).
- Cheng, W. K. Hamrin, D. Heywood, J. B. Hochgreb, S. Min, K. Norris, M. “An Overview of Hydrocarbon Emissions Mechanisms in Spark-Ignition Engines” SAE # 932708 1993
- Bower, S. L. Jr. Litzinger, T. A. Frottier, V. “The Effects of Fuel Composition and Engine Deposits and Emissions from a Spark Ignition Engine SAE # 932707 1993
- Bitting, W. H. Firmstone, G. P. Keller, C. T. “Effects of Combustion Chamber Deposits on Tailpipe Emissions” SAE # 940345 1994
- Studzinski, W. M. Liiva, P. M. Choate, P. J. Aker, W. P. Smooke, M. Brezinsky, K. Litzinger, T. Bower, S. “An Computational and Experimental Study of Combustion Chamber Deposit Effects on NOx Emissions” SAE # 932815 1993
- Harpster, M. O. Scott, E. M Fry, J. H. Litzinger, T. A. “An Experimental Study of Fuel Composition and Combustion Chamber Deposit Effects on Emissions from a Spark Ignition Engine” SAE #950749 1995
- Barnes, J. R. Stephenson, T. “Influence of Combustion Chamber Deposits on Vehicle Performance and Tailpipe Emissions” SAE # 962027 ( 1996 ).
- Omata, T. Yoshii, T Kaneko, T. Hamatani, K. Nagao, M. “Analytical Studies of Combustion Chamber Deposits and Effects of CCD on Emissions” SAE # 971721 ( 1997 ).
- Haidar, H. A. Heywood, J. B. “Combustion Chamber Deposit Effects on Hydrocarbon Emissions from a Spark-Ignition Engine” SAE # 972887 ( 1997 ).
- Bachman, H. E. Prestridge, E. B. “The Use of Combustion Deposit Analysis for Studying Lubricant Induced ORI” SAE # 750938 ( 1975 ).
- Cheng, S. S. “The Effects of Engine Oils on Intake Valve and Combustion Chamber Deposits” SAE # 932810 1993
- Corkwell, K. C. Megnin, M. K. “Fleet Test Evaluation of Gasoline Additives for Intake Valve and Combustion Chamber Deposit Clean Up” SAE # 950742 1995
- Nagao, M. Kaneko, T. Omata, T. Iwamoto, S. Ohmori, H. Matsuno, S. “Mechanism of Combustion Chamber Deposit Interference and Effects of Gasoline Additives on CCD Formation” SAE # 950741 1995
- Jackson, M. M. Pocinki, S. B. “Effects of Fuel Additives on Combustion Chamber Deposits” SAE# 941890 1994
- Kelemen, S. R. Maxey, C. T. “The Effect of Intake Valve Detergent Structure on the Quantity and Composition of Combustion Chamber Deposits” SAE # 952449 1995
- Takei, Y. Uehara, T. Hoshi, H. Okada, M. “Effects of Gasoline and Gasoline Detergents on Combustion Chamber Deposit Formation” SAE# 941893 1994
- Kalghatgi, G. T. “Combustion Chamber Deposit and Knock in a Spark Ignition Engine- Some Additive and Fuel Effects” SAE # 962009 ( 1996 ).
- Richardson, C. E. Fischer, J. L. Pawczuk, G. “Evaluation of the Effect of Fuel Composition and Gasoline Additives on Combustion Chamber Deposits” SAE # 962012 ( 1996 ).
- Kalghatgi, G. T. “Fuel and Additive Effects on the Rates of Growth of Combustion Chamber Deposits in a Spark Ignition Engine” SAE # 972841 ( 1997 ).
- Weaver, S. L. Lin, J. J. Haury, E. J. Graham, J. Macias, J. R. “A Family of Fuel Additives Reduces the Octane Demand of Automobile Engines” ACS Div. Pet. Chem. 42 ( 1995 ) 344
- Nago, M. Omata, T. Morinaga, M. Baba, Y. Uchiyama,, T. Kagami, M. Takarabe, A. Okazaki, J. Fujimori, Y. Komori, M. Shimoyama, J. Fujiwara, S. Hosono, K. Takei, Y. Matsudaira, J. “Joint PAJ/JAMA Project - Development of a JASO Gasoline Bench Engine Test for Measurung CCD” SAE # 972837 ( 1997 ).
- Homan, H. S. Kelemen, S. R. “The Effect of a Gasoline Additive, Automobile Make, and Driving Cycle on Intake Valve Deposits (IVD) and Combustion Chamber Deposits (CCD) in a Ten Car Fleet Test” SAE # 972836 ( 1997 ).
- Kim, C. Cheng, S. Majorski, S. A. “Engine Combustion Chamber Deposits: Fuel Effects and Mechanisms of Formation” SAE # 912379 1991
- Wood, B. S. Anderson, C. L. “Gasification of Porous Combustion Chamber Deposits in a Spark Ignition Engine” SAE # 930773 1993
- Lepperhoff, G. Houben, M. “Mechanism of Deposit Formation in Internal Combustion Engines and Heat Exchangers” SAE # 931032 1993
- Cheng, S. S. “A Physical Mechanism for Deposit Formation in a Combustion Chamber” SAE # 941892 1994
- Daly, D. T. Bannon S. A. Fog, D. A. Harold, S. M “Mechanism of Combustion Chamber Deposit Formation” SAE# 941889 1994
- Price, R. J. Wilkinson, J. P. T. Jones, D. A. J. Morley “A Laboratory Simulation and Mechanism for the Fuel Dependence of SI Combustion Chamber Deposit Formation” SAE # 952445 1995
- Cheng, S. S. “A Micrographic Study of Deposit Formation Processes in a Combustion Chamber” SAE # 962008 ( 1996 ).
- Uehara, T. Takei, Y. Hoshi, H. Shiratani, K. Esaki, Y. “Investigation of Combustion Chamber Deposit Formation Mechanism” SAE #971723 ( 1997 ).
- Price, R. J. Spink, C. D. Morley, C. “Prediction of Combustion Chamber Deposit Growth in SI Engines” SAE # 972835 ( 1997 ).
- Cheng, S. S. Kim, C. “Effect of Engine Operating Parameters on Engine Combustion Chamber Deposits” SAE # 902108 1991
- Choate, P. J. Edwards, J. C. “Relationship Between Combustion Chamber Deposits, Fuel Composition, and Combustion Chamber Deposit Structure” SAE # 932812 1993
- Edwards, J. C. Choate, P. J. “Average Molecular Structure of Gasoline Engine Combustion Chamber Deposits Obtained by Solid-State 13 C, 31 P and 1 H Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy” SAE # 932811 1993
- Keller, C. T. Corkwell, K. C. “Honda Generators Used to Evaluate Fuels and Additive Effects on Combustion Chamber Deposits” SAE # 940347 1994
- Edwards, J. C. “Multinuclear and Multidimentional Solid-State NMR Investigations of Combustion Chamber Deposits” ACS Div. Pet. Chem. 42 ( 1995 ) 319
- Yeh, S. W. Moore, S. M. Sabourin, E. T. “The Effect of Engine Operating Conditions on CCD Chemistry and Morphology” ACS Div. Pet. Chem. 42 ( 1995 ) 323
- Daly, D. T. Dohner, B. R. Weisenberger, L. A. Budinger, P. A. “The Rate and Characterization of Combustion Chamber Deposits” ACS Div. Pet. Chem. 42 ( 1995 ) 30
- Kelemen, S. R. Siskin, M. Homan, H. S. Pugmire, R. J. Solum, M. S. “Fuel, Lubricant and Additive Effects on Combustion Chamber Deposits” SAE # 982715 1998
- Kelemen, S. R. Siskin, M Most, W. J. Kwiatek, P. J. Pugmire, R. J. Solum, M. S. “Combustion Chamber Deposits from Base Fuel and Commercial IVD Detergent Packages” SAE # 982716 1998
- Kelemen, S. R. Kwiatek, P. J. “Quantification of Organic Oxygen Species on the Surface of Fresh and Reacted Argonne Premium Coal” Energy and Fuels 9 1995 841
- Kelemen, S. R. Rose, K. D. Kwiatek, P. J. “Carbon Aromaticity Based on XPS π to π* Signal Intensity” Applied Surface Science 64 1993 167
- Solum, M. S. Pugmire, R. K. Grant, D. M. “ 13 C Solid State NMR of Argonne Premium Coals” Energy and Fuels 3 187 ( 1989 ).
- Solomon, P. R. Fletcher, T. H. Pugmire, R. J. “Progress in Coal Pyrolysis” Fuel 72 587 ( 1993 ).
- Newman, R. H. “Chemical-Shift Anisotropies Can Dominate in Dipolar Dephasing” CP/MAS NMR Experiments. J. Magn. Reson . 96 370 1992
- Enomoto, Y. Furuhama, S. “A study of the Local Heat Transfer Coefficient on the Combustion Chamber Walls of a Four-Stroke Gasoline Engine” JSME Int. Journal 32 1989 107
- Enomoto, Y. Kitahara, N. Takai, M. “Heat Losses during Knocking in a Four-Stroke Gasoline Engine” JSME Int. Journal 37 1994 668
- Bethel, S. Anderson, C. L. “In-Situ Infrared Technique for Measuring Cycle- Resolved Transient Combustion Chamber Surface Temperatures in a Fired Engine” SAE # 860240 1986
- Hayes, T. K. White, R. A. Peters, J. E. “Combustion Chamber Temperature and Instantaneous Local Heat Flux Measurements in a Spark Ignition Engine” SAE # 930217 1993
- Nakic, D. J. Assanis, D. N. White, R. A. “Effect of Elevated Pistion Temperature on Combustion Chamber deposit Growth” SAE # 940948 1994
- Owens, J. P. “Comparison of Cylinder Head Deposit Thickness and Weight Data in Fleet and Dynamometer Testing” SAE # 952448 ( 1995 ).
- Hopwood, A. B. Chynoweth, S. Kalghatgi, G. T. “A technique to Measure Thermal Diffusivity and Thickness of Combustion Chamber Deposits In-situ” SAE # 982590 1998
- Moore, S. M. “Combustion Chamber Deposits Interference Effects in Late Model Vehicles” SAE # 940385 1994
- Megnin, M. K. Choate, P. J. “Combustion Chamber Deposits Measurement Techniques” SAE # 940346 1994
- Arters, D. C. Jackson, M. M. Schiferl, A. “Using Intake Valve Deposit Cleanup Testing as a Combustion Chamber Deposit Discriminator” SAE # 982714 1998
- Woodyard, M. E. Lee, G. R. “Using Gasoline Properties to Predict CCD Performance” SAE #1999-01-3583 1999
- Lee, R. “SI Engine Combustion Chamber Deposits and Their Effects Upon Emissions” SAE # 1999-01-3583 1999
- Kalghatgi, G. T. Price,, R. J. “Combustion Chamber Deposit Flaking” SAE #200-01-2859 2000
- Clarke, L. J. Haddock, G. J. “Relationship Between Gasoline Thermal Stability and Combustion Chamber Deposits SAE # 972840 1997
- CRC Report 608