This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Transient Particulate Matter Measurements from the Exhaust of a Direct Injection Spark Ignition Automobile
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Spring Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition SAE International Fall Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition
Diesel and gasoline engines face tightening particulate matter emissions regulations due to the environmental and health effects attributed to these emissions. There is increasing demand for measuring not only the concentration, but also the size distribution of the particulates. Laser-induced incandescence has emerged as a promising technique for measuring spatially and temporally resolved soot volume fraction and size. Laser-induced incandescence has orders of magnitude more sensitivity than the gravimetric technique, and thus offers the promise of real-time measurements and adds information on the increasingly desirable size and morphology information. Quantitative LII is shown to provide a sensitive, precise, and repeatable measure of the soot concentration over a wide measurement range.
The current research determined the tailpipe particulate emissions characteristics from a DISI (direct injection spark ignition) vehicle, including identifying the relative contributions of various engine modes to the total particulate emissions. The volume concentration measurements were obtained in the undilute exhaust with laser-induced incandescence (LII). Particulate measurements were also performed with ELPI instrumentation, sampling from a mini-diluter. Gravimetric filter sampling was performed to measure mass emission rate, organic/elemental carbon, and sulphates/nitrates/trace elements.
The LII technique was demonstrated to be capable of real-time particulate matter measurements over all vehicle transient conditions. The wide measurement range and lower detection limit of LII make it a potentially preferred standard instrument for soot measurements.
- Gregory J. Smallwood - National Research Council Canada, ICPET Combustion Research Group
- David R. Snelling - National Research Council Canada, ICPET Combustion Research Group
- Ömer L. Gülder - National Research Council Canada, ICPET Combustion Research Group
- Dan Clavel - National Research Council Canada, ICPET Combustion Research Group
- Daniel Gareau - National Research Council Canada, ICPET Combustion Research Group
- Robert A. Sawchuk - National Research Council Canada, ICPET Combustion Research Group
- Lisa Graham - Environment Canada, Emissions Research and Measurement
CitationSmallwood, G., Snelling, D., Gülder, Ö., Clavel, D. et al., "Transient Particulate Matter Measurements from the Exhaust of a Direct Injection Spark Ignition Automobile," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3581, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3581.
SAE 2001 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V110-4 ; Published: 2002-09-15
Number: V110-4 ; Published: 2002-09-15
- Hansen, J., Sato, M., Reto, R., Lacis, A., and Oinas, V., “Global Warming in the Twenty-First Century: An Alternative Scenario,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 97, pp.9875-9880, 2000.
- Jacobson, M. Z., “Strong Radiative Heating Due to the Mixing State of Black Carbon in Atmospheric Aerosols,” Nature, 409, pp.695-697, 2001.
- Kittelson, D. B., “Engines and Nanoparticles: A Review,” Journal of Aerosol Science, 29, pp.575-588, 1998.
- Witze, P. O., “Diagnostics for the Measurement of Particulate Matter Emissions from Reciprocating Engines,” The Fifth International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines (COMODIA), Nagoya, 2001.
- Green, R. M. and Witze, P. O., “Laser-Induced Incandescence and Elastic-Scattering Measurements of Particulate-Matter Volume Fraction Changes During Passage Through a Dilution Tunnel,” Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics, Lisbon, July, 2000.
- Harris, S. J., and Maricq, M. M., “Signature Size Distributions for Diesel and Gasoline Engine Particulate Matter,” Journal of Aerosol Science, 32, pp.749-764, 2001.
- Ahlvik, P., Ntziachristos, L., Keskinen, J., and Virtanen, A., “Real Time Measurements of Diesel Particulate Size Distribution with an Electrical Low Pressure Impactor,” SAE Paper No. 980410, 1998.
- Graskow, B. R., Kittelson, D. B., Ahmadi, M. R., and Morris, J. E., “Exhaust Particulate Emissions from a Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-1145, 1999.
- Maricq, M. M., Podsiadlik, D. H., Brehob, D. D., and Haghgooie, M., “Particulate Emissions from a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition (DISI) Engine,” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-1530, 1999.
- Hall, D. E., and Dickens, C. J., “Measurement of the Number and Size Distribution of Particles Emitted from a Gasoline Direct Injection Vehicle,” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-3530, 1999.
- Eckbreth, A. C., “Effects of Laser-Modulated Particulate Incandescence on Raman Scattering Diagnostics,” Journal of Applied Physics, 48, pp.4473-4479, 1977.
- Melton, L. A., “Soot Diagnostics Based on Laser Heating,” Applied Optics, 23, pp.2201-2208, 1984.
- Dasch, C. J., “New Soot Diagnostics in Flames Based on Laser Vaporization of Soot,” 20th Symposium (International) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, pp.1231-1237, 1984.
- Bengtsson, P. E. and Alden, M., “Application of a Pulsed Laser for Soot Measurements in Premixed Flames,” Applied Physics B (Photophysics and Laser Chemistry) B48(2), pp.155-64, 1989.
- Dec, J. E., zur Loye, A. O., and Siebers, D. L., “Soot Distribution in a D.I. Diesel Engine Using 2-D Laser Induced Incandescence Imaging,” SAE Transactions, 100, pp.277-288, 1991.
- Quay, B., Lee, T. W., Ni, T. and Santoro, R. J., “Spatially Resolved Measurements of Soot Volume Fraction Using Laser-Induced Incandescence,” Combustion and Flame, 97, pp.384-392, 1994.
- Vander Wal, R. L., and Weiland, K. J., “Laser-Induced Incandescence: Development and Characterization Towards a Measurement of Soot Volume Fraction,” Applied Physics B, 59, pp.445-452, 1994.
- Bengtsson, P. E., and Alden, M., “Soot Visualization Strategies Using Laser Techniques: Laser-Induced Fluorescence in C2 from Laser-Vaporized Soot and Laser-Induced Soot Incandescence,” Applied Physics B, 60, pp.51-59, 1995.
- Will, S., Schraml, S., and Leipertz, A., “Two-Dimensional Soot Particle Sizing by Time-Resolved Laser-Induced Incandescence,” Optics Letters, 20, pp.2342-2344, 1995.
- Mewes, B. S., and Seitzman, J. M., “Soot Volume Fraction and Particle Size Measurements with Laser-Induced Incandescence,” Applied Optics, 36, pp.709-717, 1997.
- Snelling, D. R., Smallwood, G. J., Campbell, I. G., Medlock, J. E., and Gülder, Ö. L., “Development and Application of Laser Induced Incandescence (LII) as a Diagnostic for Soot Particulate Measurements,” Proceedings of the NATO/AGARD Propulsion and Energetics Panel, 90th Symposium on Advanced Non-Intrusive Instrumentation for Propulsion Engines, 20-24 October, 1997, Brussels, Belgium.
- Witze, P. O., Hochgreb, S., Kayes, D., Michelsen, H. A. and Shaddix, C. R., “Time-Resolved Laser-Induced Incandescence and Laser Elastic Scattering Measurements in a Propane Diffusion Flame,” Applied Optics, 40, pp.2443-2452, 2001.
- Snelling, D. R., Liu, F., Smallwood, G. J. and Gülder, Ö. L., “Evaluation of the Nanoscale Heat and Mass Transfer Model of the Laser-Induced Incandescence: Prediction of the Excitation Intensity,” NHTC2000-12132, Thirty Fourth National Heat Transfer Conference, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 2000.
- Smallwood, G. J., Snelling, D. R., Liu, F. and Gülder, Ö. L., “Clouds over Soot Evaporation: Errors in Modeling Laser-Induced Incandescence of Soot,” Journal of Heat Transfer, 123, pp. 814-818, 2001.
- Vander Wal, R. L., Ticich, T. M. and Stephens, A. B., “Optical and Microscopy Investigations of Soot Structure Alterations by Laser-Induced Incandescence,” Applied Physics B, 67, pp.115-123, 1998.
- Snelling, D. R., Thomson, K. A., Smallwood, G. J. and Gülder, Ö. L., “Two-Dimensional Imaging of Soot Volume Fraction in Laminar Diffusion Flames,” Applied Optics, 38, pp.2478-2485, 1999.
- Zhao, H., and Ladommatos, N., “Optical Diagnostics for Soot and Temperature Measurement in Diesel Engines,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, 24, pp. 221-255, 1998.
- Schraml, S., Will, S., and Leipertz, A., “Simultaneous Measurement of Soot Mass Concentration and Primary Particle Size in the Exhaust of a DI Diesel Engine by Time-Resolved Laser-Induced Incandescence (TIRE-LII),” SAE Paper 1999-01-0146, 1999.
- Black, J. D., “Laser Induced Incandescence Measurements of Particles in Aero-Engine Exhausts,” SPIE, 3821, pp.209-215, 1999.
- Snelling, D. R., Smallwood, G. J. and Gülder, Ö. L., “Absolute Light Intensity Measurements in Laser Induced Incandescence,” US Patent No. 6,154,277, 2000.
- Snelling, D. R., Smallwood, G. J. Gülder, Ö. L., Liu, F., and Bachalo, W. D., “A Calibration-Independent Technique of Measuring Soot by Laser-Induced Incandescence Using Absolute Light Intensity,” The Second Joint Meeting of the US Sections of the Combustion Institute, Oakland, California, March 25-28, 2001.
- Snelling, D. R., Smallwood, G. J., Gülder, Ö. L., Bachalo, W. D., and Sankar, S., “Soot Volume Fraction Characterization Using the Laser-Induced Incandescence Detection Method,” Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics, Lisbon, July, 2000.
- Snelling, D. R., Smallwood, G. J., Sawchuk, R. A., Neill, W. S., Gareau, D., Chippior, W. L., Liu, F., Gülder, Ö. L., and Bachalo, W. D., “Particulate Matter Measurements in a Diesel Engine Exhaust by Laser-Induced Incandescence and the Standard Gravimetric Procedure,” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-3653, 1999.
- Snelling, D. R., Smallwood, G. J., Sawchuk, R. A., Neill, W. S., Gareau, D., Clavel, D., Chippior, W. L., Liu, F., Gülder, Ö. L. and Bachalo, W. D., “In-Situ Real-Time Characterization of Particulate Emissions from a Diesel Engine Exhaust by Laser-Induced Incandescence,” SAE Paper No. 2000-01-1994, 2000.
- Smallwood, G. J., Snelling, D. R., Neill, W. S., Liu, F., Bachalo, W. D., and Gülder, Ö. L., “Laser-Induced Incandescence Measurements of Particulate Matter Emissions in the Exhaust of a Diesel Engine,” The Fifth International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines (COMODIA), Nagoya, 2001.
- Köylü Ü. Ö., “Quantitative Analysis of In Situ Optical Diagnostics for Inferring Particle/Aggregate Parameters in Flames: Implications for Soot Surface Growth and Total Emissivity,” Combustion and Flame, 109, pp.488-500, 1996.