This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Valve Lift Shape and Timing on Air Motion and Mixture Formation of DISI Engines Adopting Different VVA Actuators
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A number of Variable Valve Actuators (VVA) has been recently proposed to improve the performances and the part load efficiency of spark ignition engines. Due to their peculiarity, these systems work with different strategies (late or early inlet valve closing, reduced lift etc.).
The shape and the timing of the valve lift affect not only the pumping losses, but also air motion inside the cylinder. That influences mixture formation and combustion evolution of Direct Injection Spark Ignition (DISI) engines.
The present paper compares the performances of different VVA systems with the aid of a 1D code for the simulation of the inlet and of the exhaust phases, and of a fluid-dynamic 3D code to evaluate mixing phenomena inside the cylinder.
|Technical Paper||Measurement and Simulation of Turbulent Flame Propagation in a Spark Ignition Engine by Using Fractal Burning Model|
|Technical Paper||Impact of Tumble on Combustion in SI Engines: Correlation between Flow and Engine Experiments|
CitationDiana, S., Iorio, B., Giglio, V., and Police, G., "The Effect of Valve Lift Shape and Timing on Air Motion and Mixture Formation of DISI Engines Adopting Different VVA Actuators," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3553, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3553.
SAE 2001 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V110-4; Published: 2002-09-15
Number: V110-4; Published: 2002-09-15
- Titolo A. “The Variable Valve Timing System-Application on a V8 Engine” SAE paper 910009
- Hamazaki M. Hosaka T. “Development of the Variable Valve Timing and Lift (VTEC) engine for the Honda NSX” SAE paper 910008
- Brustle Claus Schwarzenthal Dietmar F. Porsche AG “Variocam Plus- A Highlight of the Porsche 911 Turbo Engine” SAE paper 2001-01-0245
- Pierik Ronald J. Burkhard James F. “Design and Development of a Mechanical Variable Valve Actuation System” SAE paper 2000-01-1221
- Flierl R. Kluting M. “The Third Generation of Valvetrains - New Fully Variable Valvetrains for Throttle-Free Load Control” SAE paper 2000-01-1227
- Takemura Shinichi Aoyama Shunichi Sugiyama Takanobu Nohara Tseneyasu Moteki Katusuya Nakamura Makamoto Hara Seinosuke “A study of a Continuous Variable Valve Event and Lift (VEL) System” SAE paper 2001-01-0243
- Nakamura Makamoto Hara Seinosuke Yamada Yoshihiko Takeda Keisuke Okamoto Naoki Hibi Tsutomu Takemura Shinichi Aoyama Shunichi “A continuous Variable Valve Event and Lift Control Device (VEL) for Automotive Engines” SAE paper 2001-01-0244
- Nuccio P. “Distribuzione variabile come mezzo per la regolazione del motore ad accensione comandata” ATA settembre 1983 36 9 Paper 82071 XIX FISITA Congress Melbourne
- Bernard L. Ferrari A. Vattaneo F. Vafidis C. “Developments in Fiat's electro-hydraulic variable valve actuation system” Congress on variable valve timing Haus der Technik Essen March 28-29 2000
- Kemper Hans “Benefits of the Electromechanical Valve Train in Vehicle Operation” SAE paper 2000-01-1223
- Butzmann S. Melbert J. Koch A. “Sensorless Control of Electromagnetic Actuators for Variable Valve Train” SAE paper 2000-01-1225
- Henry Rassern R. “Single-Cylinder Engine Test of a Motor-Driven Variable-Valve Actuator” SAE paper 2001-01-0241
- WAVE by RICARDO Software, version 5.2 May 2000
- Amsden A. A. O'Rourke P.J. Butler T. D. KIVAII -A computer program for chemically Reactive Flows with Sprays Los Alamos National Laboratory 1989
- Amsden A. A. KIVA-3V: A Block Structured KIVA Program for engines with Vertical or Canted Valves Los Alamos National Laboratory July 1997
- Diana S. Police G. et al. “Experimental and Numerical Study of Spray generated by a High Pressure Gasoline Injector” 5 th International Conference ICE 2001 Capri September 23 27 2001
- Han Z. Parrish S. Farrel P.V. Reitz R.D. “Modeling atomization processes of pressure swirl hollow-cone fuel sprays” Atomization and sprays 7 663 684 1997
- Bozza F. Gimelli A. Senatore A. Caraceni A. “A Theoretical Comparison of Various VVA Systems for Performance and Emission Improvements of SI-Engines” SAE paper 2001-01-0670