This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of the Influence of Bore Shape on the Performance of a Large-End Bearing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Spring Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition SAE International Fall Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition
This paper used an elasto-hydrodynamic model of a connecting rod large-end bearing to investigate the influence that the shape of the bearing bore had on the performance of the bearing system. Comparisons were made between cylindrical shapes, eccentrically bored shapes and complex shapes, i.e. the ‘Conecc’ profile. The effect of ‘cap-shift’ was also investigated together with effectiveness of joint face relief in overcoming some of its adverse effects.
|Technical Paper||The Effect of Viscoelasticity on the Performance of Dynamically Loaded Journal Bearings|
|Technical Paper||Expanded Polypropylene Replacement of ABS in a Seat Bolster System|
|Technical Paper||Gear Design|
CitationWang, D., Jones, G., and Sturk, B., "A Study of the Influence of Bore Shape on the Performance of a Large-End Bearing," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3547, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3547.
- Wang D Parker D D Williams B “Correlation of Measured and Predicted Oil Flow for a Big-End Bearing,” Paper 2000-01-2929, SAE Fall Fuels & Lubricants Meeting SAE Warrendale, PA 2000
- McIvor J D C Fenner D N “Finite Element Analysis of Dynamically Loaded Flexible Journal Bearings: A Fast Newton-Raphson Method,” Journal of Tribology 111 597 604 ASME 1989
- Elrod H G “A Cavitation Algorithm,” Journal of Tribology 103 3 350 354 ASME 1981
- Jones G J “Crankshaft Bearings: Oil Film History,” Proc. 9th Leeds-Lyon Symposium on Tribology Dowson D Taylor C M Godet M Berthe D Tribology of Reciprocating Engines 83 88 Butterworth, UK 1983
- DeHart A O Harwick D H “Journal Bearing for Fluctuating Loads,” USA 1971
- Jones G J “The Influence of Geometry and Grooving on the Measured Temperatures of Engine Crankshaft Bearings,” Paper 960989 , SAE 1996 Congress SAE Warrendale, PA 1996
- Jones G J “The Measured Oil Flow Characteristics of a Connecting Rod Large End Bearing,” Paper 415, World Tribology Congress, I Mech E London, UK 1997
- Mian A O Parker D D Williams B “Measured Crankshaft Bearing Oil Flow and Temperatures with a Full and Partial Groove Main Bearing,” Paper 2000-01-1341 , SAE 2000 World Congress SAE Warrendale, PA 2000